PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone set-up/help run a toddler group?

MrsP2C
20-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Where I live are loads of young children but very little to do and loads of us end up going to the same groups in the nearby town whereas it would be lovely to have somewhere we could walk to straight after school-drop off. Parents to supervise own children for maximum 2 hours so hopefully this will cut down on the amount of red tape!

I think a weekly (or maybe monthly initially) playgroup would be really well received & I'm keen to try and get something set up but no idea where to start or if it will become a huge hassle for no reward! we could use the village hall & have a craft table, ride-ons, baby corner and get some sort of climbing frame and story/songs to finish. Tea & coffee for parents/carers & maybe do a rota for snack each week. Any thoughts or experience much appreciated!

TNT
20-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I dont have experience of setting up a group but am hoping to possibly next year. I was hoping to set up a specific childminders group as we have lots of toddler groups where I live for parents but nothing locally just for childminders.
I will be interested in any replies to this thread.

charlottenash
20-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Watching this with interest...

smartbear
20-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes! Ask away! :)

smartbear
20-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Go to 3 groups all CM/parent-run, all weekly. Works really well, keeps us sane, all a good mix of CMs, parents, grandparents so people can "see you in action" which brings a lot of work in & makes sure children are familiar with you already which helps. We do lots of craft, singing,messy play, ride-ons, parachute, baby area, dressing-up, water, climbing frame - all sorts of stuff lots of kids don't get at home but which are really important. And can link everything in to our own planning hah! Charge £1 donation per family, but we get both halls rent free which helps. Provide tea, coffee, toast, juice, fruit. Oh, & do summer trip & Christmas party. And other bonus our gang of littlies are generally both well-fed & exhausted when they finish! Any other questions ask away, I've been doing this since my own were little & my oldest girl's now 20! x

Bluebell
20-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I think you've got your answer! But I also go to a childminder run group. HOWEVER, make sure there is a good rota and that there is always 2 of you to set up and close.

The friends that ran it for ages before instilling a rota had to set up and close on their own while looking after their 3 children. Lots of equipment to get out and so on.

Try and pick a time that doesn't coincide with parents picking up and dropping off so other childminders can help set up and so on - once you've established then get parents involved too!

The other thing that happened which was a bit unfair was that one summer we had about 2 weeks of nice weather so on the first week nobody came and the childminders set up on their own for hardly anyone to show up so they let everyone know that if it was sunny the next week they would rather take the children they were minding for a day out on the beach and that everyone at the toddler group was welcome to join them - and some people complained that the group wasn't on!!!

Think that was why they insisted on the rota in the end cos it was the same 2 every week.

I think its a brilliant idea and its one of the best run groups in the area and it allows childminders which not all local groups do. Another advantage is parents get to meet and know local childminders so when they come to look for childcare it may be good advertising for you or just to be able to pass on information and advice about who has spaces.

If its a regular community service - like for local parents - then your local village hall may not charge as much as it would for a one-off birthday party or something. Good luck! look forward to hearing all about it!

trickiedickie
20-09-2013, 08:21 PM
I helped ran a toddler group for about a year with other helpers, then ran it almost single handedly for a year after that. I ran it two days a week so with hindsight that was stupid. No one else would take it on so I ended up running it twice a week.

I bought all the provisions, took all the funds (parents paid termly as opposed to weekly), point of contact for all new enquiries, people starting. So if I wasn't well, kids weren't well I had to find someone else to welcome the new person coming. I arranged the xmas, easter parties.

I had rota's out but people dodged them. I ended up resenting most people who came to the toddler group :o

Noone was ever willing to make the snacks for the kids and the tea for the parents/carers apart from me. We were suppose to have an arts and crafts activity every week but no one ever put their name on that rota so was rarely done.

I haven't ran it for over a year now, and it only runs one day a week now. Noone was willing to do it twice a week.

I think if you are running it with a group of friends then it could be enjoyable/very doable, just don't take it on yourself. Make sure others feel the same amount of responsibility towards the groups success as you do.

Good luck.

hectors house
20-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Ask at church halls if they already have any toys / small tables / chairs etc as sometimes they may let them out for children's parties or church creches and that would save you starting from scratch. We have tried running toddler groups from halls without many resources and it is very difficult to try to bring toys with you, enough plastic beakers and plates and sit the children down on blankets for snacks if there isn't children sized furniture. Luckily now the childminders toddler group is based at the children's centre and everything apart from snacks is provided.

Also sometimes if you ask around you may find out about toddler groups that have closed down as no-one wanted to run them - sometimes the equipment/toys is still there at the back of a cupboard or under the stage!

migimoo
20-09-2013, 10:56 PM
When I left my previous job to CM they asked me to continue running the toddler group there as no-one else liked doing it.

I must admit it's an easy ride...my own mindees get in for free,reception sorts out the money and sets up the drinks,I am purely there for first aid,to tidy up and to show people around,it's in a large soft play area so I don't need to organise any activities as LO's just want to climb and slide.

Not sure that I would be so keen with all of the responsibility that some here seem to have-i've got enough stress:panic:

Sounds like it may be something that could help you out though?