PDA

View Full Version : first interested client. ahhhh help! lol

ja-lula-belli
20-09-2013, 09:06 AM
I have had a parent interested in my service and is coming for a visit . What do I do? I know this sounds silly but obviously I go through my policies and stuff but do I need to also fill out their child's info at this time like there routines and stuff or is that only when they sign the contract?

moggy
20-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I have had a parent interested in my service and is coming for a visit . What do I do? I know this sounds silly but obviously I go through my policies and stuff but do I need to also fill out their child's info at this time like there routines and stuff or is that only when they sign the contract?

First visit is just to see if you like them and if they like you.

Concentrate on selling yourself- all the great things you do, places you go, resources you have, your play spaces/garden etc. Policies- yes, have them to hand but parent unlikely to sit and read through them all there and then, offer to email them before contracts are signed. Play with the child while parents look at your portfolio- work out if you are going to get on with this child! Tell them about your routine, how flexible you are, where children will sleep etc. Be up front with your fees and payment date (deposit, retainers, payment in advance/in arrears, holiday payments).

Make a check list of what you need to find out from them- what days they want, what times, I like to find out where parents work/what they do, is this a permanent arrangement or just a temporary thing, has child been in childcare before, when do they need care to start, is there time for settling in visits, etc.

Make them a cuppa and relax, treat it like a new friend coming round for a chat.

And remember you are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

However it goes, do not make a decision there and then, sleep on it, as should they and follow up with an email or phone call the next day to see what they thought, if they have any more questions, if other parent would like to visit too etc. Then is the time to talk about signing contracts and filling in info forms.

ja-lula-belli
20-09-2013, 12:17 PM
Thank you for that I did think it would be a bit too heavy to do all the policies etc on the first visit.
I'm much more relaxed about it now.
Thank you for your reply x

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

sing-low
20-09-2013, 08:40 PM
I find it useful to ask parents to give me some idea of what their child does throughout the day - wake times, naps, feeds etc. This gives me a chance to ask questions and also a sense of how relaxed (or not!) they are about routines etc. It's the beginning of getting to know them and their child.

Also, when I was first starting up (not all that long ago!) I made sure to tell parents that I was still learning about all the things that childminders do, that I would do my best to get everything 'right' but to please bear with me (and above all TELL ME) when I got it wrong and I would fix it as soon as possible.

jackie 7
20-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Remember that so many parents visit snd never bother to say they don't want to go to you. It's not you but parents choose by who they fancy. We are all different.

sprinkles
20-09-2013, 10:25 PM
Remember that so many parents visit snd never bother to say they don't want to go to you. It's not you but parents choose by who they fancy. We are all different.

I second this! Very disheartening and frustrating but you will more than likely have parents who won't even get back to you after the first visit if they decide to go with a different setting - to them it's not important! It's one of my pet hates about parents and this job! Great advice from the others about what to do/expect though so you'll be fine :)

westbrom44
22-09-2013, 08:39 AM
I have also had parents say they definitely want their child to come to me after a couple of visits and many questions, then a visit with their partner, then another visit with granny, all saying they are very happy, only to not turn up to sign contracts and to never be heard of again. All very time consuming.

I have even had a parent sign contracts and child had a free settling in session. Parent and child never turned up on the day mum was due to go to work and I havent heard from her since. It did cross my mind that she was after my Ofsted number but she could have found that out without even meeting me.

This has all happened quite recently. I have filled my vacancies now.