PDA

View Full Version : Tidying up toys

Miss freckles
19-09-2013, 03:18 PM
I have my inspection coming soon and I have all sorts of things running through my mind

I was wondering what you all do with getting the children to tidy up, my house is a constant mess with a one yr old and two 18mth old aswell as before and after schoolers.

I'm trying to show them the importance of tidying up after ourselves, I've made a set of simple house rules mainly for the older children which includes tidying away our toys, but the younger ones are obviously oblivious to it all, so I was just wondering if any of you know what Ofsted would be expecting, with the younger children when it comes to tidying up.

Thank you

kellib
19-09-2013, 03:31 PM
I don't know about Ofsted as we don't have them up here but the rule here is generally one themed thing out at a time, say either trains & cars out, or all the Octonauts toys out or today we had Fireman Sam & Postman Pat out. The kids here know that if they once they are ready to move on to other toys they tidy up what they have finished with. As well as having buggies, blackboard etc out!

Of course it doesn't always work like that but most of the time it works well. I have ages ranging from 1-4 and it's the two youngest ones that are actually better at tidying, the older ones just moan!

JCrakers
19-09-2013, 03:47 PM
We tidy as we go along. My 18m old helps, she copies the older ones. My 14m old doesnt quite understand but he likes to put things in and out anyway so enjoys putting the odd toy into the box :thumbsup:
I dont allow loads of boxes emptied because it just causes hazards for tripping over especially my 14m old who is nearly walking.
The older children (2.5yrs and upwards) definitely tidy up after themselves :D

Nicola Carlyle
19-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't know about Ofsted as we don't have them up here but the rule here is generally one themed thing out at a time, say either trains & cars out, or all the Octonauts toys out or today we had Fireman Sam & Postman Pat out. The kids here know that if they once they are ready to move on to other toys they tidy up what they have finished with. As well as having buggies, blackboard etc out!

Of course it doesn't always work like that but most of the time it works well. I have ages ranging from 1-4 and it's the two youngest ones that are actually better at tidying, the older ones just moan!

Same here!

karen m
19-09-2013, 07:35 PM
My rule is if you want a diffferent toy out you put away what you already have out

sprinkles
19-09-2013, 07:54 PM
My rule is if you want a diffferent toy out you put away what you already have out

We have this rule here too. I only have one mindee - a very stubborn 2 year old - and she had the ball pit balls all over the floor this morning. Counting, kicking, lining them up etc, fab fun! But she refused to put them away, well actually she started putting them away herself but after a few she says "not do it any more" and stands and looks at me. So I told her we don't get any more toys out until the balls are away - this encourages her to pick some more up but only about 4 before she starts being stubborn again. Then she says she doesn't want the other toys out anyway, cue her sitting on the floor in the huff for a while (I think she thought if she said she didn't want the toys out then I'd tidy up haha)....she soon wants to join in when I start colouring in etc though. Took us about half an hour but she finally put them all away - hopefully if I continue with this she will soon learn that toys go away before more come out and the quicker she puts them away the quicker the rest come out.

silvermist
19-09-2013, 09:53 PM
We always have a tidy up before lunch then before school run. The little ones, aged between one and two years only tidy up if we sing the tidy up song! Which is simply us singing" we're tidying up the toys, we're tidying up the toys blah blah blah" to the tune of the farmers in his den.
We saw Mr Tumble sing it and it stuck lol :laughing:

Toothfairy
20-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm short on space, so tidy up as we go. Everyone helps and we sing the Tidy Up song as we go.

(Sung to the tune of Rosie & Jim)

TIDY UP TIME, TIDY UP TIME
LETS PUT THE TOYS AND THE BOOKS AWAY
READY FOR THE NEXT TIME WHEN WE PLAY

hectors house
20-09-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm short on space, so tidy up as we go. Everyone helps and we sing the Tidy Up song as we go.

(Sung to the tune of Rosie & Jim)

LETS PUT THE TOYS AND THE BOOKS AWAY
READY FOR THE NEXT TIME WHEN WE PLAY

Showing your age now - bring back Rosie & Jim!

ziggy
20-09-2013, 09:01 AM
I only have one or two boxes in playroom at a time. I have 3 three year olds this morning and they soon understood if they want a different box out that the playroom has to be tidied first.

Also started new rule that toys stay in playroom as got fed up of tripping over toys when going to answer front door.

I warn them 30mins before lunch that it is tidy up time and they know food wont be served till playroom is tidy.

I havent spoken to all parents and they are happy with the 'rules'

Toothfairy
20-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Showing your age now - bring back Rosie & Jim!

:D:laughing: