PDA

View Full Version : Child who doesnt do child led play

KatieFS
19-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi all. Some advice and support. I'm sure I'm not the only one
I have a lo who participates really well with adult based play, ie when I direct lead it. But when we have time for her to chose activities she basically sits with me. I usually say shall we do dinosaurs or craft (for example) she might say dinosaurs. So we get the stuff out and there it will be on the floor. She might pick one up and sit nxt to me with it. Very reliant on me to help her play. I think she struggles with self esteem and finds done social situations a challenge, basically will sit with me. Ice had a few similar threads about this lo. Is this just me expecting too much? The other children Ive had generally like to take toys themselves and play with a little support now and again from an adult.
Any suggestions?

supermumy
19-09-2013, 01:42 PM
How old is lo

Is she allowed to choose toys or get more than 1 toy out etc at home? If not could be the reason
Or could be opposite and the parents do a lot with her and she expects the same t yours I had a mindee once all morning we would be busy and when child lead he would say come on you HAVE to play with me lol

KatieFS
19-09-2013, 06:03 PM
She is 2 and do think she is very played with at home if that makes sense as has mum and dad to herself. I'm doing work with her in social skills as she finds playgroup environments challenging

smurfette
19-09-2013, 08:44 PM
She is 2 and do think she is very played with at home if that makes sense as has mum and dad to herself. I'm doing work with her in social skills as she finds playgroup environments challenging

Have one like this and it's hard work isn't it?! She is gradually improving though, i have asked parents to take her to playgroups as they hadnt and she isnt happy and it does help,. feel awful cos i am always saying no i am not picking you up, go and find the toys! How long have u had her?

sarah707
19-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Would you be able to do a home visit? It might give you an insight into how the lo plays at home and the interactions going on around them :-)

greanan
19-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I've one who is three and ive had them since being a tiny babe. She can't seen to play on her own, at home she's never in and when she is just had the tele on

blue bear
20-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Try giving her little tasks when you are busy, go and get the dinosaurs, see if you can make them a house while I wash up, that sort of thing, build up the time you leave her to do the task. When playing ask her what should go where, so , we are going to paint, what do we need? What shall I do with this paint, try and make her feel she is in charge and direct you, if she is always directed by adults at home she will not have the confidence to begin with and certainly have no idea how to play by herself.

KatieFS
20-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Had her over a year now and she is very attached to me. I've done home visit and basically when she is home, not much as mum works full time, everything seems to work around her. Tv is often on too. I've advised parents to try to get her out and about playgroups etc. I do worry about how she will be at nursery/per school and school as she really doesn't cope well currently. And August baby so she will be going when she is just 4 not that long away.
Good ideas here ladies, ill try to set some little tasks for her.