PDA

View Full Version : Worms!

MrsP2C
19-09-2013, 10:59 AM
I've got worms :( I'll be treating all my family & hot washing bedding & towels but do I need to do anything else to get them out of the house? Presumably I need to inform parents, but what about new mindees who started today (typical!)? Is it wise to inform DC school as well?

moggy
19-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I've got worms :( I'll be treating all my family & hot washing bedding & towels but do I need to do anything else to get them out of the house? Presumably I need to inform parents, but what about new mindees who started today (typical!)? Is it wise to inform DC school as well?

They are most active at night so hoover mattresses, hoover bedrooms. Use separate bath towels (good practice anyway even between family members). Make sure you do the follow-up dose 2-weeks later even if symptoms have gone as they can be difficult to get rid of and can reappear 6-8 weeks or so later. And inform all your mindees' parents- get them to check their children & given med too if they are happy too, it could have come from them.

Mouse
19-09-2013, 11:44 AM
This info is quite helpful:

Threadworms - Treatment - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Threadworms/Pages/Treatment.aspx)

I would tell all mindees' parents that someone in the setting has threadworm and they should contact their own GP for advice on getting treatment for them. I wouldn't bother telling your child's school unless they shows signs of being infected.

hectors house
19-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Poor you - I had them many years ago while minding and it wasn't nice - I would tell parents of mindees that "someone" in the setting has had them and give them signs to watch out for -with children who mostly sleep through the night the parents may find that they are restless and unsettled, they may lack the communication to express that their bottoms feel itchy. Tell the parents to keep the children's finger nails really short and to wash hands before and after they go to bed in case they have been itching during the night. It isn't pleasant but it's not life threatening.

JCrakers
19-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Dont you just love this job :D

I had them a couple of years ago. We have vigorous hand washing, school doesn't though and finger nails are great for breeding. The amount of times I've been into school to find no soap....ugh

I treated myself and just wrote a letter (same as a headlice one) just telling people to treat if necessary. I didn't name anyone and don't know who they came off...ugh, makes me cringe at the thought.

Hope you are worm free soon :thumbsup:

hectors house
19-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Dont you just love this job :D

I had them a couple of years ago. We have vigorous hand washing, school doesn't though and finger nails are great for breeding. The amount of times I've been into school to find no soap....ugh

I treated myself and just wrote a letter (same as a headlice one) just telling people to treat if necessary. I didn't name anyone and don't know who they came off...ugh, makes me cringe at the thought.

Hope you are worm free soon :thumbsup:

They come from the people who don't wash their hands - the number of times I have been in public toilets and you are still in your cubicle and hear someone else open their door and then go straight out the main door - I then feel like Leonardo Dicaprio in the Avatar film (playing Howard Hughes) trying to get through the door without touching the handle! Yuck!

Glitter
19-09-2013, 12:06 PM
When I worked in a school I was told that the worm eggs can be transfered between children who have been playing with playdough. Don't know if it is true but I don't like touching playdough any more!

JCrakers
19-09-2013, 12:06 PM
They come from the people who don't wash their hands - the number of times I have been in public toilets and you are still in your cubicle and hear someone else open their door and then go straight out the main door - I then feel like Leonardo Dicaprio in the Avatar film (playing Howard Hughes) trying to get through the door without touching the handle! Yuck!

I always try to get out by touching it somewhere other than the handle......

caz3007
19-09-2013, 12:22 PM
My friend always washes her hands and then uses anti bac gel when she leaves public toilets

Supernanny86
19-09-2013, 12:39 PM
My friend always washes her hands and then uses anti bac gel when she leaves public toilets

That's what I do!! Maybe a bit OCD but I can't take chances!! :)

MrsP2C
19-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Ok thanks & will be binning playdough just in csse!!!