PDA

View Full Version : Snails?!

maisiemog
19-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Any of you got African land snails?

My DD wants some and all my yr 2 mindees are doing minibeasts at school this term so could link with that. I like to link with school projects if I can and this would be a good one!

Are they easy to keep? If I get two will I soon have hundreds of them? We have an old fish tank could I keep them in that?

Had a look on Google but would like to hear from others if they are worth getting. Seen someone on FB offering some free to collector so defo interested

Supernanny86
19-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Any of you got African land snails? My DD wants some and all my yr 2 mindees are doing minibeasts at school this term so could link with that. I like to link with school projects if I can and this would be a good one! Are they easy to keep? If I get two will I soon have hundreds of them? We have an old fish tank could I keep them in that? Had a look on Google but would like to hear from others if they are worth getting. Seen someone on FB offering some free to collector so defo interested My aunt had Two, as far as I know she just fed them??! I was fascinated at first because of the size of the things!! If someone doesn't come along with more info I could ask her to have a chat with you :)

AliceK
19-09-2013, 11:25 AM
We have one. They are quite particular about their habitat and need to be kept warm or else they will go into hibernation. They are very easy to keep though. Ours mainly eats cucumber and has cuttle bone. Quick squirt of water. Very easy but quite boring tbh. Oh and they are hermaphrodites so probably a good idea to only have 1.

xxxx

Mouse
19-09-2013, 11:32 AM
We used to have one.

It was very easy to keep, but not very exciting.

Despite cleaning the tank out regularly, it attracted lots of little fruit flies that we just couldn't get rid of. In the end I re-homed the snail with a family who had lots of them. The fruit flies disappeared along with the tank!

Supernanny86
19-09-2013, 11:40 AM
We have one. They are quite particular about their habitat and need to be kept warm or else they will go into hibernation. They are very easy to keep though. Ours mainly eats cucumber and has cuttle bone. Quick squirt of water. Very easy but quite boring tbh. Oh and they are hermaphrodites so probably a good idea to only have 1. xxxx

I was going to call them boring but thought I'd appear rude!!!! Lol

singingcactus
19-09-2013, 12:08 PM
We have two, (they were rescues like all my pets). I keep them in separate tanks. My previous ones that I had from hatchlings ate all kinds of things, but my current 2 were only fed cucumber and that is pretty much all they'll eat now. They need cuttlefish (or some other form of calcium) to grow hard shells. They need to be kept clean, warm but not too warm, and moist but not wet. They like a few different textures in their tank to crawl on. When you handle them don't pull them off the side of the tank by their shell, keep your hands slightly moist. Wash/antibac hands before and after handling. They live for for quite a few years.

They are the most mind numbingly boring pet you could ever get! I mean EVER!!

Better idea would be put an inch or two of soil/substrate in the bottom of your tank, stick in some terracotta pots, mugs, shallow bowl for water, some coverage and get the kids to find some native garden snails. Keep them for a few months then release them. You raise native snails the same way you raise gals, but you can release them when the boredom gets too much lol. You absolutely must not release gals into the wild.