PDA

View Full Version : How to move her on.

Fitrix
18-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 3yr old who has been recognised as being developmentally delayed. This morning she attempted a really easy lift out puzzle - 3 animals, each lift out piece had the exact same picture underneath ie. the horse went into the horse picture. She had zero concept and continually tried ramming the horse piece into the much smaller sheep space! In so many areas she has the physical ability to do a task but lacks any understanding of how things work. In the instance of the puzzle, how could I help her learn/move on to understand what to do. I'm a bit stuck so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

amylouise867
18-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Hello, I'm looking for some advice. I have a 3yr old who has been recognised as being developmentally delayed. This morning she attempted a really easy lift out puzzle - 3 animals, each lift out piece had the exact same picture underneath ie. the horse went into the horse picture. She had zero concept and continually tried ramming the horse piece into the much smaller sheep space! In so many areas she has the physical ability to do a task but lacks any understanding of how things work. In the instance of the puzzle, how could I help her learn/move on to understand what to do. I'm a bit stuck so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

I would read more simple stories to her asking simple questions.

Where is the duck?
(if she pointed to the pond)
That's the pond here's the duck, quack quack.

For example.

(If she points to the wrong thing I wouldn't say no that's not the duck this is a duck. Keep it positive and to the point.)

Do more action rhymes and singing.

Praise lots.

Encourage her to explore the world and space around her.

Offer lots of mark making activities.

When she does things talk about what she's doing.

'that looks like a yummy dinner you are cooking"
"what a beautiful picture you are drawing"
"you are eating that apple really well"
"are you dancing?"

If you think she would grasp questions/statements like that no problem try:

"mmm your cooking smells delicious what are you cooking??"
"what are you drawing?"
"what else do you like eating?" etc

Try and build on her language.

With regards to the puzzle - there are some fabulous puzzles in ELC

I have one I shall post a photo later - big and chunky 4 shapes, colours are very vibrant and the colours and shapes both match up. They are from 12 months on I think - but she may need something simple like this for a short time to grasp what she has to do.

Set up activities where she can fill things up an put things inside of each other.

What are her interests? What television programmes does she like? You may be able to use characters etc she likes to link to activities to help keep her engaged.

Hope that helps :) xxx

hectors house
18-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Regarding puzzles maybe try really basic shape sorters or different sized wooden bricks into slots in a cardboard box or on a course I did once they demonstrated how children can explore experimenting for themselves with plastic plant pots with different sized holes on bottom and different sized pieces of stick to post through - try to play matching games - simple picture lotto "who has the cat" - show picture of cat and prompt her to point to it on her card, or matching up socks etc

Fitrix
20-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks for replies. The thing is she is excellent at finding animals/objects in books etc - so if I say where is the cat? She can point it out. I think she struggles with matching up? So I guess I need to work on that. Shape sorters are a no go so far - even really basic ones. i noticed yesterday she struggled with one of those toys where you have different buttons you push/pull/move to the side to get animals popping out jack in the box style - normally doable at around 18 months of age. She doesn't seem to get how things work/move/fit together. Is this something that children just learn over time or can it be taught? and if so how?! Language delay as well so it is hard to make progress as I don't often get much back!