PDA

View Full Version : overnight care?

ja-lula-belli
18-09-2013, 11:13 AM
What are the requirements for overnight care?
Own room?
Share room?
Own bed in shared room?
Own bed own room?
All I can find information on is that you can hear them.
ratios of overnight care?
Thanks x

jitterbug
18-09-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm jumping in on this thread too as I'd like to know!

ja-lula-belli
20-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Lol looks like we are the only two who want to know.
I've done some research and found this.

http://www.childcare.co.uk/information/overnight-care-childminders

It seems that they must not have to have their own room as this is not at all mentioned anywhere. I'm going to call Pacey and or CSSIW to get a straight answer.

Ja-Lula-Belli Childminding

hectors house
20-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I was registered for overnight care but can't remember what the rules were - I rarely have anyone overnight, just if parents have a wedding reception or party that sort of thing. Think they did have to have own room and unless siblings I was only allowed one child at a time, but now Ofsted have taken the Overnight care off my certificate when they were all reissued, I think anyone who is registered can do it and I don't know if requirements have changed. I have things in my policies like I must be able to hear them from my room on a monitor and I won't drink any alcohol or take any medicines that could make me sleep more soundly like some cold remedies. Not sure what the rules are in Wales.

jitterbug
21-09-2013, 05:57 AM
Well, we're getting there! I certainly have more info on this than I did before.

I'm not looking at doing this all the time but would like to offer it on an ad hoc basis as I can't see any childminders that do in my area.

Koala
21-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi

I do overnight care sometimes. I implement all the risk assessments as day care, however the children do sleep in a travel cot in their usual sleep area or the playroom for familiarity.

Discuss over nighters with the rest of the family first as it can be a major imposition, I offer my children an extra bonus for allowing the imposition on their time. Be prepared, it's a long night, I constantly wake and monitor the child and when I wasn't checking I wasn't sleeping well, listening for every murmur. Be prepared for sleepless nights, changing bums and wiping puke up in the middle of the night - not nice. SO I AM KNACKERED, I stink of puke , it's not as easy as you think just because they are sleeping! They may sleep if your lucky but you don't.

On the plus side it's an extra bonus and I will be off to treat myself too this afternoon, everyone wins. :thumbsup: I don't think I could do it regularly just every now and again. :thumbsup:

Chellewilks
21-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello I had my pre reg in July and the lady said same applies for day sleeping, own bedding and can share your child's room And need to have it on certificate. X

maisiemog
21-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Another example of non consistent ofsted rules. When I asked I was told I couldn't give overnight care because I didn't have a spare room. I've had a mindee overnight once but not on a CMing basis. Did it as a friend of my daughter and she shared a room with her, in fact by the time they finally fell asleep they were in the same bed! Wonder what ofsted would have to say about that!

dottylotty
21-09-2013, 03:57 PM
I spoke to Ofsted the other day about this. He said as long as I have sent an email to Ofsted saying i am going to do overnight care then I can go ahead and do it. I don't have to wait for an email of confirmation from them, its just to let them know so they have it on record.