PDA

View Full Version : Asking landlord to become a child minder- possible issues!?

Rachel89
17-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi, sorry if this post is in the wrong place!
But I am keen to look into becoming a childminder and have done some research online.
However, before I can start training i realise I need to ask my landlord. ( I live in a private rented house, my landlord is my cousin and her husband) But although we are family etc he would understandably want to do everything properly and legally.. So before I ask I just wanted to see if any one else rents and is childminding? Iv read that some mortgages have restrictions on childminding or businesses too, I don't know what type of mortgage they have on this house or if it would make a difference if it is buy to let? Obviously there are landlords insurances and the insurances i would need too.
Basically I just wanted to get an idea of anyone else experience before I ask Incase it's a complete waste of time!
Thank you, Rachel x

sing-low
18-09-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but I wouldn't have thought you'd lose anything by asking your landlord/cousin. And they could check with their mortgage co/insurance co.

jitterbug
18-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Hiya

I'm just beginning the process of registering as a childminder and I privately rent.

I asked my landlord straight away and to be honest I'm very lucky as he's been very good about it! It does put his house insurance up but as we are great tenants and have decorated everywhere etc, he has not put our rent up at all. Our landlord owns the house outright but if he did mortgage it, I believe he would have to inform the lender.

Hope this helps

FussyElmo
18-09-2013, 08:01 PM
It is entirely down to the landlord - some wont want childminders regardless of what you say to persuade them.

A mortgage shouldn't be affected by childminding as although we are classed as a business it not the same as running a garage for example.

The house insurance will go up because it becomes business. If you offered to pay the difference this could help?

Good luck let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

natalieatk
19-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I rent and childminder, landlord is aware and it's not a problem,..I insured for business use and specified being a childminder on my contents insurance..I don't know if they have to have different insurance asking as I'm insured with contents and public liability.

karen m
19-09-2013, 02:00 PM
I have in the past minded from a rented property, landlord was fine with it, just not fine over repairs that were down to him