PDA

View Full Version : Who's right and who's wrong?

kellyskidz!
17-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I heard (ok, ok, i was eavesdropping more like!) two childminders talking about recording existing injuries. One said a boy had come in with a bruised spine, which was obviously an unusual place to have a bruise so she recorded it, got mum to sign and photographed the injury for her records.
The other cm was scandalised and said we should NEVER photograph injuries!
The other cm said well I often do and keep them on file, I don't tell parents I've taken the photo because the child's face isn't in it
Now I don't personally take photos of injuries, just record incident and mark on body map with description of injury and get parent to sign but who was right.. Do we never take photos or injuries, or if there was serious reason for concern, could we, as evidence?
Just a wondering really after hearing this convo, does anyone know for sure, or have OFSTED ever mentioned it?x

vickylou
17-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I know a childminder who got in serious trouble with Ofsted and SS for photographing an injury. This child was already known to SS at the time. Infact SS told her to no longer mind this family and they moved to me hence how I know that she got in trouble. So personally I wouldn't and don't do it

singingcactus
17-09-2013, 01:53 PM
It isn't a crime to photograph injuries, but it is pointless. They are inadmissable, and cannot be used as evidence or even looked at. There is no way to prove beyond doubt that photographs are tamper free. Just record verbally. Think it's crazy your friend got told off for it, it is just pointless,not criminal. Sometimes people do over react don't they!

blue bear
17-09-2013, 02:34 PM
All the course I've been on over the years I've alwways been told we are not to photograph injuries, if they happen to have a photo that day for lj or diary and injury is shown on photo that's fine

AliceK
17-09-2013, 03:45 PM
All the course I've been on over the years I've alwways been told we are not to photograph injuries, if they happen to have a photo that day for lj or diary and injury is shown on photo that's fine

Agree, I've been told the same :thumbsup:

xx