PDA

View Full Version : Query over napping arrangements

hthrtsut
17-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Hi Everyone

Got my registration sent away and had an acknowledgement letter back so now just waiting patiently (well not so patiently lol) for the next stage.

One thing that I am trying to work out is napping arrangements. I'm planning to use my living room and kitchen as the main areas for minding but should I be using my upstairs spare room for any mindees that nap during the day or would they just nap downstairs? I'm kinda hoping not to use the spare room as its my dumping ground :blush:

What arrangements does everyone else have?

Thanks

Heather

kellyskidz!
17-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I use spare room as sleep room with a toddler bed and travel cot in there but I know my other cm friend has a travel cot that she puts up in the dining room after lunch and baby sleeps in there while the older ones have TV or quiet time.
I think OFSTED will ask where they have time to rest as its important that babies have down time to relax and sleep as well as play but where that space is is up to you. If you didn't have spare room you'd have to use other sleep methods so I wouldn't worry too much if you don't want to change spare room into sleep room as long as they do have somewhere to go for a rest xx

charlottenash
17-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Mine sleep all over:

Sofa
My bed
Spare bed
Travel cot in my sons room, spare room or anywhere it will fit!

As long as you register your whole house and have an idea of what you will do that's fine.

:)

migimoo
17-09-2013, 03:17 PM
I didn't want to register mu upstairs rooms and I CM just in my living room so lo's nap on the sofa-ofsted were happy with this as I have it in my permissions forms.

scottishlass
18-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I haven't registered my upstairs, had inspection few weeks ago and baby went or a snooze in her buggy in the hall (parent wrote in their routines that this is where she slept) and care inspectorate happy with this xx

cathtee
18-09-2013, 12:41 PM
mine have always slept in a buggy, only ever had one parent that said they wanted their lo to sleep in a travel cot

Demonjill
26-09-2013, 11:26 AM
I use my room but only because there is space for a travel cot in there and it can stay up all the time...as I have a minded who uses it every day...
Another mindee sleeps in his buggy in the kitchen. Sometimes I have these two mindees at same time so it works out well as they don't disturb each other. I couldn't have mindees napping in my living room as that is where the main play Is and it can get a bit noisy.
Maybe having a purpose for your spare room would stop you using it as a dumping ground! Haha :D

shortstuff
26-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I use my living room for a current mindee and one to start next month as the travel cots go in there brilliantly. I am in the great position of having a play room though which has the downstairs loo in it.

I have used DS's room for cots too as he just charges me rent for doing so lol, this was at a parents request.

Nicola Carlyle
26-09-2013, 12:06 PM
I have three travel cots up all the time and have 4 little ones who use them so they are in use 5 days a week. I have one in the spare room, one in the office and one in my toddlers room. If a child feel asleep in a buggy I would leave them there until they woke rather than disturb them. I have had a little one who when I first had them mum said to put to sleep in the buggy but it then became a safety issue when little one would try and get out so we moved to the travel cot.

moggy
26-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Hi Everyone

Got my registration sent away and had an acknowledgement letter back so now just waiting patiently (well not so patiently lol) for the next stage.

One thing that I am trying to work out is napping arrangements. I'm planning to use my living room and kitchen as the main areas for minding but should I be using my upstairs spare room for any mindees that nap during the day or would they just nap downstairs? I'm kinda hoping not to use the spare room as its my dumping ground :blush:

What arrangements does everyone else have?

Thanks

Heather

There is nothing wrong with a baby napping in a cot in a 'dumping ground'! As long as nothing is in reach of the cot, it is a normal room temperature and you have a babymonitor set up. I have babies and non-climbing toddlers in a travel cot upstairs in our office room- it is full of desks and computers and stuff but quite safe for a little one in the cot (they really don't notice the piles of books and the stacks of folders on the desks or my husbands overflowing to-do tray!).

Edited to add: I would keep your options open at registration stage- get it all registered then you can decide what you want to use in future. You may get a baby who really needs some peace, quiet and curtains closed to nap and it is good to have the option there even if you never use it. I use it as a selling point that I can offer a quiet upstairs room for naps.

AliceK
26-09-2013, 12:50 PM
You can register your whole house, it doesn't mean you have to use it all but at least you have the option should you need it at some point.
I have 2 x 2yr olds and 1 x 1yr old. One of my 2 yr olds sleeps upstairs in a travel cot in my DD's bedroom (he needs peace and quiet and is a light sleeper). The other 2 yr old sleeps in a buggy, she sleeps in various places depending on what the other children are doing. The 1yr old sleeps in my lounge which isn't used for LO's to play in but I use it as a sleep / quiet room. I have 2 travel cots so can place them anywhere but I only tend to use one of them which is set up permanently in DD's bedroom (for her dolls when I'm not using it lol) Sometimes if the children fall asleep in the buggy when we're out I just leave them there and park them in the back garden by the kitchen door. Keep your options open as you won't know what is going to be needed / suits you futher down the line.

xxxx

hthrtsut
30-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It has definitely given me some good advice and things to think about. The spare room is an option (I do try to keep it tidy and organised but sometimes it gets away from me - like at the moment the sofa bed can hardly be seen from the pile of to do ironing on it lol) but using it would mean I had to keep it organised so probably a better solution all round.

xxx