PDA

View Full Version : Would you ask for a deposit

Angela234
17-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Though e-mails and a couple of phone calls I have a family wanting their daughter to come to me when they move here in Oct how do I go about this can't do contracts till they come for settling in sessions could I ask for a non returnable deposit to come of their first weeks fee's say £50 without any written contract agreement ?
I haven't spoke to them since they said they want me last Thursday they hope to move down 1st weekend Oct and start settling in week after ready to start.
I feel they could just change their minds they were hovering between myself and another minder (they were waiting for her to get back to them but since spoke to a couple of my parents and said they wanted to make sure they got me.
Has anyone else had this situation or what would you do I want to get hold of them this week and maybe send them a confirming e-mail or something.

Thanks
Angela

sprinkles
17-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I would explain to them that you can't hold a place without a deposit or a signed contract and since they can't sign a contract then I would ask for deposit. I always ask for deposit anyway, unless the start date is very close, which is the first week's fees and comes off the first invoice. It's up to you how much you ask for though. Some people ask for straight £100 but it's entirely up to you.

Angela234
17-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks Sprinkles I haven't asked anyone for a deposit before but I do feel I want some kind of commitment

rickysmiths
17-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I always sign Contracts before Settling in sessions and I take a 4 week fees Deposit which they loose if they then don't take up the place. If they do it is kept and used to cover the 4 weeks notice period when they leave.

Bluebell
17-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Rickysmiths - I have just decided this is a good way to go - I've just signed up a customer that I asked for a deposit for - to secure the place and to be held as last 4 weeks payment. I've put it in an envelope with their name on it so I keep it for when they leave otherwise I'll spend it and regret it when they leave and I need it!!

I was nervous to ask them as it seemed a lot of money (and it was only 1 day a week!) but they were fine about it and got it to me by the end of the week.

What to do you do if the parents then have additional hours at a later date - do you up their deposit so to speak so it doesn't get confusing when they leave?