PDA

View Full Version : Biting incident - do you name the biter?

Mouse
17-09-2013, 10:49 AM
One of my mindees has taken a chunk out of the other one's arm.

When completing injury/incident forms, do you name the children involved?

Glitter
17-09-2013, 11:10 AM
I was told you don't name the child who caused the injury on an accident form as this could breach confidentiality rules.

If the injured child is old enough to talk they usually tell their parents who did it anyway.

I think it would be alright to make a note of the child's name on an incident form for your own records, incase biting becomes a regular issue.

If this is not right could someone else reply so I know I am doing the right thing as well!

christine e
17-09-2013, 11:29 AM
entirely agree with Glitter's comments - you should never name the offending child on your accident report but you could record as an incident separately :thumbsup:

AdeleMarie88
17-09-2013, 11:35 AM
No don't name other child ever. If the boy tells him mom and she asks you, you can use your discretion and perhaps confirm, but it's not professional or confidential to mention other children. X

kellib
17-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I generally don't but it's pretty obvious who the biter is as I normally only have 2 LO's here.

Also our accident sheets ask who was present at the time of accident/incident and I'm certainly not the biter so that narrows it down for parents too :laughing:

AdeleMarie88
17-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Ahh I see, I would do whatever you can to avoid naming names though, the other parent really would not appreciate it. Sure on the sheet you can just say the adults names, and then write "two toddlers" rather than putting their names?

It does break confidentiality rules, as obvious as the culprit may be, Ofsted wouldn't like to see names. It may also be an isolated incident so it seems a little cruel to put his name on accident form, by all means keep a record of it, and show the biters mom.

I understand how tricky it can be to work around incidents like this, all my moms are best friends, so whenever their children fall out, it's mega hard for me to say it sensitively!

How would you feel about talking to them both personally?, and then on the accident form, you won't need to write any names because you discussed it with both parents, (even at the same time if you feel brave enough) x

kellib
17-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Ahh I see, I would do whatever you can to avoid naming names though, the other parent really would not appreciate it. Sure on the sheet you can just say the adults names, and then write "two toddlers" rather than putting their names?

It does break confidentiality rules, as obvious as the culprit may be, Ofsted wouldn't like to see names. It may also be an isolated incident so it seems a little cruel to put his name on accident form, by all means keep a record of it, and show the biters mom.

I understand how tricky it can be to work around incidents like this, all my moms are best friends, so whenever their children fall out, it's mega hard for me to say it sensitively!

How would you feel about talking to them both personally?, and then on the accident form, you won't need to write any names because you discussed it with both parents, (even at the same time if you feel brave enough) x

I'm in Scotland so no Ofsted here and at my last inspection my inspector didn't have a problem with my sheets :thumbsup:

Koala
17-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I generally don't but it's pretty obvious who the biter is as I normally only have 2 LO's here.

Also our accident sheets ask who was present at the time of accident/incident and I'm certainly not the biter so that narrows it down for parents too :laughing:

well then, the job is done for you.

But as has been said do not say - " johnny has bitten Carly"
just say
"another child has bitten Carly"
and on other incident report say "Johnny has bitten another child".

If asked just say you are unable to name the other child due to professionalism, however be rest assured the parents have been in formed and you are dealing with the matter as the behaviour is totally unacceptable. That's probably what the parents want to know.

But when you say a chunk - has flesh been removed?

Mouse
17-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone.

It wasn't quite a chunk (no broken skin), but it was a hard chomp down & has left a perfect teeth shaped mark.

I know neither parent will be unduly concerned. They both accept these things happen. The child who was bitten will tell their mum who it was and I'm sure at pick up will also tell the mum of the biter! The biter doesn't talk enough to say anything about it.

I have written a form for the bitten child's mum to sign and an incident form for biter's mum to sign, explaining what happened & how I dealt with it. I haven't put the other child's name on either of my forms, but have got both names on the incident note in my diary. Hopefully I've covered every eventuality, but obvserved confidentiality as far as possible.

Mummits
17-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Luckily (?) I have only had one sibling bitten by the other, so only one parent to inform! The fact that the biter in question had clearly been in tears due to being told off was a bit of a give away too. I put X was bitten by another child on the accident form, but put that Y bit her sister in her own diary. I don't think you need be quite so discreet about siblings, as I'm sure their parents have a pretty good idea what they are like together at times.

MessybutHappy
17-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Not read all the threads, but I'd do two forms that reference each other but neither names the other child.

Form 1 says Freddy was bitten by another child, form two says Martha bit another child. Both forms have a foot note to say the other form has been written so I can link, anyone else can link but parents don't see!

Cinnamon Sugar
17-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Not read all the threads, but I'd do two forms that reference each other but neither names the other child.

Form 1 says Freddy was bitten by another child, form two says Martha bit another child. Both forms have a foot note to say the other form has been written so I can link, anyone else can link but parents don't see!

Ooh this is a good idea. I might copy if that's OK? :-)

kellyskidz!
17-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Nope, breaks confidentiality- I remember that from doing my NVQ we were told never to name the child, even if parent asks, because parent could take it upon themselves to speak to child's mum or something
Kids do sometimes tell parents but even then you can't confirm it, parents will understand, just say I'm afraid I can't say due to confidentiality matters:rolleyes:
Just put x was bitten on the arm today at whatever time, and write an incident sheet for biter saying x bit another child today, and how you dealt with it etc etc xx

MessybutHappy
17-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Ooh this is a good idea. I might copy if that's OK? :-)

Of course it's ok, it's a great compliment when people copy!! Besides that's what the forum is all about!