PDA

View Full Version : Whats reasonable!

smurfette
16-09-2013, 09:18 PM
So I have an ad hoc contract and actually the lady wants two mornings a week which vary and I have booked In until Christmas . She is pay as you go so it is relaxed no contracts etc (Ireland so not necessary but usually use them) she has now asked to cancel two mornings at end of oct as Los big sis is off school and they are going away down country to family which they do quite often. I am happy enough as it is extra money and my kids are off that week so quieter is good! However I have in past said its payable if booked, as I have other parents looking for extra days and changing days .. Ordinarily I would be quite strict about this but as I say it's a bit more relaxed but on other hand don't want her taking the mick all the time .. How do I say yes that's fine as you have given me lots of notice .. What is reasonable in these terms.. 4 weeks? Feel that might be a bit much ?

Kiddleywinks
17-09-2013, 07:17 AM
You say she doesn't do the same days each week, so how much notice do you get normally for the actual days - if it's a week, I would say that isn't an unreasonable notice period for any changes, but less than a week would be

To me, ad hoc is an 'as and when, short notice, one off or less than 24 hours' kind of thing, so booking 2 days a week for the next 3 months wouldn't have been an ad hoc.
However, as you are happy to be flexible, I think 4 weeks notice for an ad hoc would be too much to ask for, (but would be grateful the parent had given so much :laughing:)

smurfette
17-09-2013, 08:28 AM
You say she doesn't do the same days each week, so how much notice do you get normally for the actual days - if it's a week, I would say that isn't an unreasonable notice period for any changes, but less than a week would be

To me, ad hoc is an 'as and when, short notice, one off or less than 24 hours' kind of thing, so booking 2 days a week for the next 3 months wouldn't have been an ad hoc.
However, as you are happy to be flexible, I think 4 weeks notice for an ad hoc would be too much to ask for, (but would be grateful the parent had given so much :laughing:)

So do you think if I say two weeks notice would be reasonable? Just afraid she might change her mind on the day or child sick and I won't get paid then

Kiddleywinks
17-09-2013, 11:48 AM
To be absolutely honest, I think you really need to decide if it's an adhoc contract in the fullest sense or a short term contract.

Personally, I would be doing it as the latter if mum is able to request dates between now and Christmas, so a short term contract (which means fees are to be paid regardless of attendance) with a 2 weeks notice period for any changes.

Can you remember what was discussed at the time regarding making changes, child's illness, being absent? Better still, do you have it in writing?

It's a hard one to call, as we all work differently, but if you are relying on the fees that isn't ad hoc to me ;)

mama2three
17-09-2013, 11:53 AM
I think 4 weeks is reasonable , I must admit though for AdHoc I do stick to the booking is confirmed when payment received , which is non - refundable unless I close for whatever reason.

smurfette
17-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I think 4 weeks is reasonable , I must admit though for AdHoc I do stick to the booking is confirmed when payment received , which is non - refundable unless I close for whatever reason.

See she is pay as you go so pays me that day.. It's a bit messy really the reason she gave me dates was because she fits around another shift worker and she sometimes needs to change and wanted a change for a week in November .. So I asked ad hoc parent if she was likely to need me all three days that week since I had offered it to her first and she gave me dates Til Christmas lol!!

Anyway thanks all for advice, I text her and said no worries cancelling end oct and how about we said two weeks notice for cancelling and she said perfect ! So fingers crossed it all falls into place
Now

Thanks for advice as always!!

smurfette
17-09-2013, 12:16 PM
To be absolutely honest, I think you really need to decide if it's an adhoc contract in the fullest sense or a short term contract.

Personally, I would be doing it as the latter if mum is able to request dates between now and Christmas, so a short term contract (which means fees are to be paid regardless of attendance) with a 2 weeks notice period for any changes.

Can you remember what was discussed at the time regarding making changes, child's illness, being absent? Better still, do you have it in writing?

It's a hard one to call, as we all work differently, but if you are relying on the fees that isn't ad hoc to me ;)

It was actually done by text so I have it, that once booked couldn't cancel but actually as she is using place for a break she is happy to change for me if I need it! Can't have it both ways I guess!!