PDA

View Full Version : Inclusion based toys

BlondeMoment
16-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone
I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get some inclusion toys or positive images of disability for the children. My RAG inspection suggested I should get some disability reflecting resources. I've tried a few sites like 'kids like me' but it's really difficult to find anything worth the money. Any ideas?
Lisa x

starschildmind
16-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Hello :)

I have things like religioud books and bookd with 'real people' in.

I also have the happy land figures that have the little one in thr wheelchair and one with glassed etc.

I have a multi-culteral 'hello' sign. I aslo use sign language. I have posters eg say please and thank you, that have multi-culteral people on... get imaginative.

I also have a feelings and emotions draw. With faces of people with different expressions with mirrors...

Hope that helps. - i got a good ofsted with that xx

CLL
16-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Amazon!! I have books on feelings, children in wheelchair books, books about other countries, around the world musical instruments. Anything you need you can buy on Amazon.

shortstuff
16-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Someone posted a brill set of colouring pages which had images of disabilities x scope I believe? I will try to find it tmw x

tulip0803
16-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Ebay is good.

There are lots of books. "Susan laughs" is a simple book where you don't see the child's disability until the last page. There is a series of books called All kinds of ..... People and bodies are good ones. Topsy and Tim's new friend.I have slightly older picture books "Children Just like Me" with Unicef, children around the world some with disabilities.

I have a teddy in a wheelchair. The Little people bus comes with a child in a wheelchair. I have posters on the wall with "Welcome" and "All Children are special" with pictures of all kinds of children. I have some block people with disability but they seem to have fallen into the black hole in DD2's bedroom. I have had some Hope wooden puzzles from Ebay for 99p + postage.

I tend to get things from charity shops if I see them or look for them cheap on Ebay

Jiorjiina
16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Also, try to remember not to have them as separate things. So for example try and find books and toys where there are disabled children, but their disability is not the focus of the story. This is something I had pointed out to me at inspection, because my inspector particularly liked this poster of mine:

I also have some of the Wilberry fun dolls, which are lovely and there are boys and girls with different skin tones and hair colours in the range (I mostly got them because I have a little boy mindee who loves dolls and wants to play 'mummy' all the time, and I wanted him to not think all dolls were girls!). The Wilberry dolls have been discontinued, so they can be a little tricky to find now. Kidslikeme (http://www.kidslikeme.co.uk/) also does some great inclusion stuff.

miffy
16-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Someone posted a brill set of colouring pages which had images of disabilities x scope I believe? I will try to find it tmw x

I think this is what you are talking about

http://www.scope.org.uk/sites/default/files/Scope-colouring-book_0.pdf

Miffy xx

lilac_dragon
17-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Also, try to remember not to have them as separate things. So for example try and find books and toys where there are disabled children, but their disability is not the focus of the story. This is something I had pointed out to me at inspection, because my inspector particularly liked this poster of mine:

I also have some of the Wilberry fun dolls, which are lovely and there are boys and girls with different skin tones and hair colours in the range (I mostly got them because I have a little boy mindee who loves dolls and wants to play 'mummy' all the time, and I wanted him to not think all dolls were girls!). The Wilberry dolls have been discontinued, so they can be a little tricky to find now. Kidslikeme (http://www.kidslikeme.co.uk/) also does some great inclusion stuff.

Love your Respect poster! May I ask where you got it from please?
Thank you

angeldelight
17-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Some colouring pages here too

Kids-n-fun | 22 coloring pages of kids with disabilities (http://www.kids-n-fun.com/Coloringpages/kids-with-disabilities)

http://www.scope.org.uk/help-and-information/publications/celine

Angel xx

angeldelight
17-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Here is the respect poster

Respect Poster at Kids Like Me, 01323 649 924, Posters for Children, Teach Children about Respect. Cheap Posters, Multicultural Posters. (http://www.kidslikeme.co.uk/respect-poster-i507.html#)

Angel xx

shortstuff
17-09-2013, 09:31 PM
I think this is what you are talking about

http://www.scope.org.uk/sites/default/files/Scope-colouring-book_0.pdf

Miffy xx

Thats exactly the one x thanks miffy x

Jiorjiina
18-09-2013, 01:01 AM
Love your Respect poster! May I ask where you got it from please?
Thank you

I think I got it at Waterstones. But like angeldelight says you can find it online pretty easily. They have a nice comparisons one too, with old/young, dark/light, in/out, and so on.

BlondeMoment
18-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I've had no problems getting toys and images reflecting ethicity, culture, etc. It's just the disability angle that I'm having problems with. Some great ideas though thanks x

hectors house
18-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I've had no problems getting toys and images reflecting ethicity, culture, etc. It's just the disability angle that I'm having problems with. Some great ideas though thanks x

I bought the Olympic Happyland set (I expect it's discontinued now though) it had some wheelchair bike athletes in. I believe though that as childminders we shouldn't have to have as many resources as Nurseries after all we take children out into the real world.

At a toddler group once there was a little girl who had a short arm like Kerry on CBeebies, at singing time we all stood up to do "ring a ring of roses" and one of my mindees went to hold this girls hand, he obviously couldn't find it so held her arm further up instead - I was very proud of him.

I did make a point when Kerry started on CBeebies of trying to explain to the mindees why her arm was short as there was a lot of fuss about whether she should be allowed to present it or not! My only concern was that she was going to be handed the big birthday cards by person off screen and that she would drop it and look silly - but obviously she has grown up like this and is no more or no less likely to drop it than anyone else - so my fears for her were unfounded.

sing-low
18-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I bought the Olympic Happyland set (I expect it's discontinued now though) it had some wheelchair bike athletes in. I believe though that as childminders we shouldn't have to have as many resources as Nurseries after all we take children out into the real world.

At a toddler group once there was a little girl who had a short arm like Kerry on CBeebies, at singing time we all stood up to do "ring a ring of roses" and one of my mindees went to hold this girls hand, he obviously couldn't find it so held her arm further up instead - I was very proud of him.

I did make a point when Kerry started on CBeebies of trying to explain to the mindees why her arm was short as there was a lot of fuss about whether she should be allowed to present it or not! My only concern was that she was going to be handed the big birthday cards by person off screen and that she would drop it and look silly - but obviously she has grown up like this and is no more or no less likely to drop it than anyone else - so my fears for her were unfounded.

Good point, Hector's House! Well done to your mindee at that singing time (and to you - great demonstration of inclusion in practice!).