PDA

View Full Version : Childminders more affordable that Nurseries

Tealady
16-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I had a mum visit me last week with a view to using my services.

She currently had her daughter in a day nursery, but was having to up her hours at work so was looking at using a Childminder as a more affordable option.

We are in an affluent area in the south east and the going rate locally for a CM is £4.50 for which you get nothing included up to £5 per hour, some like my self include things but a lot don't.

Anyway, this Mums decision made me think about bench marking a full day with me against a full day at a nursery. I was much more affordable than the one attached to a very well known nanny training college but to be honest, the savings were only marginal with the Childrens Centre Day care and still not worth removing a child for with the others.

Over on Netmums they often say CM are more affordable then Nursery. So out of interest, how do your fees compare to the local Day Nurseries?

littlebears1009
16-09-2013, 04:00 PM
My fees range from 8-20 pound per day cheaper than the local nurseries. X

munch149
16-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I charge £4 an hour a childrens centre about 4.50, nurseries range greatly but my sister works in one charging £6 ph. Savings normally come tho with not charging day fees I find. All the nurseries round me charge you by the morning or afternoon not by the hour. People who come to me may only want until 4 but don't want to pay until 5 like they would in nursery or need until 2 and would have to pay for morning and afternoon despite not using most of the hours. Think its our flexibility

sarah707
16-09-2013, 04:41 PM
I am a lot cheaper than nurseries - but some parents would rather pay more for guaranteed all year round care - swings and roundabouts really ... :D

AgentTink
16-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I am £30 a day with all meals and snacks, and lots of outings. My 3 local nurseries range from £38 per day to £45 per day. 2 of them dont include a full tea, just half a sandwich around 4 o'clock. Plus 2 of them dont open until 8 which was not great for one of my mums as she needs to drop of by 745 each day. So i think my rate is very reasonable. I know one of my mums weighed up nursery and realised that she saved £40 per week which over a year was just over £2000 pound which is a substantial saving. I know sometimes though people cant use me as they need (or want) childcare cover for 52 weeks of the year, and i cannot offer this, nor can i guarantee that i will never have to close for sickness etc.

Mouse
16-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Our private nurseries charge a set day, or session rate, so can work out expensive if parents need fewer hours than a full day.

I charge a higher hourly rate for fewer hours, but I still work out cheaper than a private nursery. I can't compete with the local SureStart nursery, so don't even try.

blue bear
16-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Like for like (what's included etc) childminders are £1 an hour cheaper here.

leeanne910
16-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Im same price. But i provide food and toddler groups in that cost. Also more nurturing care in a stimulating environment. But i work out loads cheaper for mynpart time and block sharing families as they would have to pay for a whole week instead of a couple of days....my parents are happy and i am.happy :) win win

CLL
16-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I am slightly cheaper than my local nurseries. I charge £40 per day and they range from £41-£45.

scottishlass
16-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Lots of the local nurseries websites don't detail their fees - on one that I found did I was more expensive for a full time place but cheaper for parents wanting hourly rather than they sessions xx

Becci26
17-09-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm on a par with the local nursery for full day care but cheaper for a part day, I wouldn't say I'm more affordable than the nursery.
You would get better value for money though as I include all trips, meals etc

Rubybubbles
17-09-2013, 07:03 AM
My sister uses a nursery as she works shifts as does her husband and they really struggled to find a childminder who wouldn't charge all week (retainer to save space and under 1) so it works out a lot cheaper for her to use a nursery as they will take their shift pattern 4 weeks in adabnce) went with her to the nurseries armed with a huge list of questions and things for her to look out for (haha bet they felt like we were mystery shoppers)

But then she has to book meals extra, being shift they can't guarantee key person only on (so having to allocate more than 1)

Only wish I lived closer then I would have him.

If I was charging for this I would charge more per hour but not charge retainer so it's interesting how different we all do things!

You can see why parents find it a mindfield

Samijanec
17-09-2013, 07:07 AM
Lots of the local nurseries websites don't detail their fees - on one that I found did I was more expensive for a full time place but cheaper for parents wanting hourly rather than they sessions xx

Ours are the same, they don't say their fees until you visit them..

scottishlass
17-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Ours are the same, they don't say their fees until you visit them..

If I was a parent it would put me off - would rather know before I visit! X

munch149
17-09-2013, 11:13 AM
My sister uses a nursery as she works shifts as does her husband and they really struggled to find a childminder who wouldn't charge all week (retainer to save space and under 1) so it works out a lot cheaper for her to use a nursery as they will take their shift pattern 4 weeks in adabnce) went with her to the nurseries armed with a huge list of questions and things for her to look out for (haha bet they felt like we were mystery shoppers)

But then she has to book meals extra, being shift they can't guarantee key person only on (so having to allocate more than 1)

Only wish I lived closer then I would have him.

If I was charging for this I would charge more per hour but not charge retainer so it's interesting how different we all do things!

You can see why parents find it a mindfield

Tends to be the opposite round here. No nursery would account for shifts

Samijanec
17-09-2013, 07:24 PM
If I was a parent it would put me off - would rather know before I visit! X

Exactly, if it isn't there to see I wouldn't want to ask!!! I'd be too scared..