PDA

View Full Version : baby doesnt want to sit up

ziggy
16-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I have very contented baby aged 8.5 months, he was born a month early and attends physio.

Mummy has been told to encourage him to sit up. But whenever I do he gets quite upset and pushes himself back until he is lying flat on his back. He can roll from back to front and lies playing quite happily on floor.

When i prop him up in high chair he manages to push himself down the chair (if you understand)

He's not very happy when i lift back rest on buggy and prefers to lie flat. I still feed him in bouncy chair lying almost flat

anyone else had similar?

sarah707
16-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Has he had an xray to make sure there isn't a medical reason?

xx

Tms
16-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I would talk to parentand let them know how upset LO gets and that perhaps you could suggest if possible to go to one of physio sessions with her maybe they can advise you on how you can help the LO ? Other than that if you feel its a real problem show the parent what happens and see if they have same issues, may be that you need to raise a 'CAF' with parent as child may need further additional help/assessment so that the problem either gets sorted or maybe there is something wrong and its not been spotted ? I have to say its nice you care :littleangel:

VeggieSausage
16-09-2013, 05:47 PM
I think this needs looking at - refer to a doctor asap I think and so they can check it out......at 8.5 months that is not right....

ziggy
16-09-2013, 07:27 PM
thank you, i feel something isnt quite right. Will chat to mummy tomorrow

moggy
16-09-2013, 08:02 PM
thank you, i feel something isnt quite right. Will chat to mummy tomorrow

You say child is already attending physio- do you know if that is because of this problem, or something else? I'd find out what the physio is about, maybe they have some physio exercises/advise you can use at your setting too.

ziggy
16-09-2013, 08:57 PM
he was born a month early and they seem concerned that he was bit floppy but as i said he rolls over and kicks his legs really hard (especially if he is cross lol), he holds his head up well. He will reach out for toys and seems to be developing normally in every other way. Apparently at home he uses a baby walker. Just not happy sitting up

shortstuff
16-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I agree with the others you need to see if you can attend a physio appointment with mum.

Ds was 10 weeks early and we luckily didnt need special exercises but had a physio to hand just in case x

I would guess that there is more going on than just being a premie x

miffy
16-09-2013, 09:27 PM
I think you need to find out what the physio is for.

Good idea to ask mum if you can go along to a session with her

Miffy xx

Simona
16-09-2013, 09:35 PM
The baby could be having physio to strengthen the core muscles to allow her to sit up
Do talk to the parents and get to see the physio at work when she does a session...it is very useful ...at least I found it so

This may help

How do I get my 6-month-old to want to sit? - Parents.com (http://www.parents.com/advice/babies/baby-development/how-do-i-get-my-6-month-old-to-want-to-sit/)

ziggy
17-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Will chat to mum but not going to be possible to attend physio with them. Hospital is 24 miles away and i also mind two 3yr olds.

thanks for advice though.

Go to a group on a monday morning where health visitor is there to weigh babies etc was wondering about mentioning it to her next week. She is baby D's health visitor so could show her, in fact he was quite upset yesterday when I tried to get him to sit up on mat with other babies, wish I had said it to her then

Simona
17-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Will chat to mum but not going to be possible to attend physio with them. Hospital is 24 miles away and i also mind two 3yr olds.

thanks for advice though.

Go to a group on a monday morning where health visitor is there to weigh babies etc was wondering about mentioning it to her next week. She is baby D's health visitor so could show her, in fact he was quite upset yesterday when I tried to get him to sit up on mat with other babies, wish I had said it to her then

Ziggy...I would certainly liaise with any HV for 'general advice' and also the baby's HV as she will be aware of the baby's development which sitting up is very much part of....ask mum if she would allow you to do so

Agree the hospital is far away but ask Mum to get handouts from the physio about what she is trying to achieve with the baby and why but, above all, get the parent to brief you fully on the baby's needs regarding her development

I am not sure if all cms do this but it is best practice to get parents to fill in a 'medical history' form as part of their contract with you listing any existing things such as allergies or other problems that will need additional care or any 'regular' visits to hospital or treatment received

teacake2
17-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I have had the problem before with one of my special needs boys, the physio came to my house so that I could see what was wanted. He eventually sat at about 15 months and walked at 5yrs due to his problems.
I found that any of the other agencies needed to work with him were only to happy to visit or send details to me so that I could carry on with things while he was with me.
Teacake2