PDA

View Full Version : We're not getting out and about!

Miss freckles
16-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who can help :)

I've had 4 new children start in the last two weeks, 2 of them eyfs children and I have an exsisting eyfs child who been coming for months.

It's taken a while to get them all settled and were just about getting there, apart from my exsisting child who hates the other children and the less attention and screams most of the day.

Anyway I've noticed I can't get out anymore I was always out before, here there and everywhere but one of the children sleeps 10:00 -12 then we have lunch then the other sleeps 12:30-2:30 then it's school run time and we haven't been out.

I don't know what to do now, also if a child is asleep upstairs can I go in the garden? And take a baby monitor out with me?

I don't know wether to still go out on the trips and if the child falls asleep in the pushchair then he falls asleep, I would normally go out around 9:30- 10ish. I would go straight after the school run but one has there breakfast when we get back from the school run, and to add to all that I can't go out at all on a mon and Fri as I have 3 non walkers, well two can walk but def no more then a few steps at a time.

Feel all a bit stressed had so many plans and exciting things to do now I'm getting all worried I can't get them done and I have my development officer coming to observe me weds morning :-/

dette
16-09-2013, 01:04 PM
it might be worth investing in a triple pushchair for your own sanity.LOs can nap while youre out and about, a walk in the park is better than being stuck in,Can you move LO's early nap? try keeping them going a bit longer and doing an early lunch at 11 then all go for sleep,this way nap time is 12 to 2 and you'll have an hour at the end for getting out.
As for going in the garden that's difficult to say,my outside space is small and runs off the livingroom so I could leave LO's there and run upstairs as I can still hear them.Could LO sleep downstairs nearer to the garden when you are outside? obviously this might not be practical,do a risk assessment x

munch149
16-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I had three non walkers for a while as two were really late walkers. I got out to groups at childrens centres as they are secure but wasn't so happy a park etc. I used a double and a sling for short journeys or from car inside and then had a triple side by side for longer outings although I hate it as it doesn't fit anywhere so now only use it for outdoors trips (farm etc) or for school run when needed although eldest walks confidently now so my next thing will be to invest in a buggy board.

munch149
16-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh and I would get out and just let child fall asleep in buggy if necessary. I've always found i go to a group in the morning then they all fall asleep in car on way home. You may find lo will gradually cope longer and longer in the mornings to the point you can get them down at the same time as the other lo

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I would take them all out either straight from school or at 9.30 - I bet the little one who normally sleeps stays awake as there is lots going on

JCrakers
16-09-2013, 01:16 PM
I would continue with your normal routine. If little one falls asleep in buggy then that's fine :D I would try and adapt his/her routine so he doesn't miss out on toddler group etc. although if he is definitely too tired then you cant keep him awake....lol

I try and get mine to sleep after groups and ideally in the afternoon but at the moment I do have a 14m old who sleeps morning around 11am so I manage to get toddler group in before he's tired :D

Its hard if you cant get out isnt it. I had 4 eyfs for a few months and couldn't take them to my normal group so stayed in. It was hard and it wouldnt be something I could do all the time
Is one mindee able to use a buggy board? Or you can get a buggy seat for which will be cheaper than a triple buggy as long as its compatible with your doubel buggy

Roseolivia
16-09-2013, 01:21 PM
I explain to parents that mornings are our time to go out and about and when child starts I manage to gradually change their routine to fit into ours.

Samantha_j41
16-09-2013, 01:25 PM
I would change routine to try and get them to nap once back in after lunch, i wouldnt stay in. They can nap in pushchair if they have too.
I would also get a double pram with a buggy board?

Miss freckles
16-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks everybody

I invested in a buggy board it did not work well at all, they refused to get on it and had a major strop. I may invest in the extra seat to make the double into a triple.

Just a lot of juggling around I guess and hoping the little ones adapt better with there sleeping routines

KatieFS
16-09-2013, 01:40 PM
I've now got 3 under 3 (2 of them are 8m old twins!)
Had about a month to settle in and decided for my own sanity and for the 1 existing child I have we need to go back to playgroups!!!

We are going on Thursday with double buggy and many car sears. I hope the babies will be ok, I think they will as pretty resilient so far

Did u say 4 Eyfs that might be hard. I think triple and get one walking it take car with short walk is your option. Then 3 of them have option to sleep in buggy. Do u have someone who could come with like another cm with a double with a free space you could nab?

It's great for you all to get our and about. Ill let you know how Thursday goes! X

KatieFS
16-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Oh and was going to say I tried buggy board and 2 yo didn't get on with it. Had a bit of a meltdown ..luckily she walks well so were getting her to walk in school run now

hectors house
16-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Often little ones can manage without a full morning sleep if they have a little "power nap" here and there - my 6 month old grandson sleeps in car when I go to pick him up (for about 20 mins), then will nap for another 10 mins in car on way to toddler group at 10 am and then just has another 10 mins on way back home. After lunch he often sleeps for
2 1/2 hours.

On my last Ofsted inspection I was out in garden with inspector & 2 older mindees with a third mindee (toddler) upstairs in bed - I just had monitor out in garden with me. (that was 4 + years ago - but inspector didn't object to it).

I would just stick to toddler groups you can drive to and park close to for the moment - use your car as a triple buggy! Put 2 in double buggy and half carry/sit on top of buggy the third one just to get through the doors. I used to go to a toddler group that didn't have any parking other than on a very busy road - a lady used to come with 2 year old triplets and put them in a little tikes trundle truck to get them across the road, so where there is a will there is a way.

kellyskidz!
16-09-2013, 03:56 PM
I have a portable Tomy monitor which us great as I can take older kids outside while littlies nap upstairs. I did this when OFSTED were inspecting and she just glanced at the monitor, which clipped to my jeans and smiled
It is hard getting around all of their separate routines and needs but its great to know the older ones are safe in the garden and when little ones wake up or we're bored outside we all come back in to play while I go and get them xx