PDA

View Full Version : am I being unreasonable? ?

lpsb31
16-09-2013, 11:02 AM
I am having to move house in October! I have given 6wks notice and am only closing for 2 days. In my contracts it says no payment for my tim off but full fees for parent/child time off. Well one of my parents has decided to send her child to another minder for the full week before I move and is unwilling to pay me ATALL for that week! I understand that the child needs to get to know the new minder but I really can't afford to lose a full weeks pay.
I have bent iver backwards for this parent in tge past, run myself ragged trying to find alternative care for the time im having off to move and taking as little time off as possible. Ive been told that as im open n willing to work the days leading up to me clising then I should still be paid for them as SHE is choosing to take the child out not me. What do you think? Am I being unreasonable to still ask for payment for the 3 days that week? X

amyp
16-09-2013, 11:05 AM
No, I would state that she still needs to pay as you are open for business as usual x

lpsb31
16-09-2013, 11:09 AM
She says she can't afford to pay 2 minders! But she wouldn't have to if she didnt send him elsewhere for extra days. I feel awful as ive had him for 5 mnths now and this is our first issue :(

Jiorjiina
16-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Don't feel awful! Like you say, you've bent over backwards to accommodate this parent. Point out to her that she signed the contract agreeing to pay if she took time off, and that you have already given them two days they don't have to pay, so it's her own choice to send child to minder for longer, therefore she has to accept the consequences from the contract she agreed to.

lpsb31
16-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Thank you for your replys! Im glad im not the only one that things im right :) tomorrow morning I will jst have to pluck up the courage to tel her, not gonna be easy as shes quite a forceful woman eek. Time to be assertive I think x

shortstuff
16-09-2013, 12:46 PM
I think the parent should pay too x you are open fees apply so long as that is the wording in your contract x

Lottie
16-09-2013, 01:37 PM
If parent wants to take child out all week then thats her choice...but she still pays you! Don't be worried about telling her, put your business hat on. Good luck!

wendywu
16-09-2013, 01:59 PM
All she needs to do is employ the new minder for just 2 days, it should in theory make no difference to you what her plans are.

Its her choice to technically employ two childminders for three days so its not your problem . If she cant afford it then dont do it simple !!!!!

You are open so you need to be paid :panic:

blue bear
16-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Why does she feel the need to send her child for a whole week prior to your two days off, the first two days the childminder will be new to the child exactly the same as if the child only went for two days.
Contract states full fee for child absences so full fee it is.

Emra81
16-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Why does she feel the need to send her child for a whole week prior to your two days off, the first two days the childminder will be new to the child exactly the same as if the child only went for two days.
Contract states full fee for child absences so full fee it is.

I thought exactly the same thing blue bear....the only reason I can see that the parent might give for using the other minder for an extra week is getting the child to settle but as it's only 2 days I completely agree with your point above....essentially it's the same difference!

jojobell
17-09-2013, 11:41 AM
you are not being unreasnonble at all, if its in your contract charge it, like others said its her choice to send her elsewhere, personaly i think it s problery more disruptive to move the child to a new minder for a whole week than the sake of 2 days if she is coming back to you after? 6 weeks is plenty of time for them to have booked 2 days hol, arranged alternative care ext so if they have chosen to arranged an extra 3 days of unneeded care that is their descion, if you feel unconfident or slightly intemindated you could put it in writing??? but a friendl word would proberly be best x