PDA

View Full Version : Grrr...child sick...but it's only teething

Mouse
16-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Dad turned up with lo this morning, saying she'd had a rough weekend. Apparently she'd been sick, had a tummy upset etc, but they'd googled it and it was all caused by teething :rolleyes: I asked when she'd last been ill. Dad hesitated before saying Thursday. I didn't believe a word of it, but what can you say when they have the answers all prepared.

Lo was clearly not well, so after an hour I phoned mum to come and collect. She's at home anyway as she doesn't work. I asked her when lo was last sick...she said yesterday. I was fuming and have made it very clear that if they lie to me again I will be terminating their contract.

It is very annoying for me, but poor child. She's clearly unwell, but has been dragged out to me this morning, been unhappy while she's been here, then had to be taken home again.

Rick
16-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Can't stand it when parents don't put their children first. Well done for laying down the law :group hug:

JCrakers
16-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Well done for saying something. Its so maddening when they come and have been unwell. I once had one turn up looking grey and Dad said he'd been sick all weekend. I sent him packing and told him to come back on Wednesday if he'd not been sick again.

He looked a bit sheepish because he knew he wasn't supposed to have come round.

Kiddleywinks
16-09-2013, 10:21 AM
made it very clear that if they lie to me again I will be terminating their contract.

:thumbsup::clapping:

KaicosMummy
16-09-2013, 10:30 AM
I have recently made a little amendment to my sickness policy, because I got fed up of runny bottoms/sickness being put down to teeth then a bug running through the house. Now says something along the lines of '48 hour exclusion applies to all sickness and diahorrhea, please do not ask me to take a child because its teething, I am not a medical practitioner and cannot make a diagnosis for your child' but obvs is worded slightly more professional! This was after an incident where myself and me son ended up being very sick on our only week off this year. Though it did come back round on the parents because as my first holiday was ruined I came home and booked another for the following month, cheeky lol. Make sure all parents understand how important it is, for everybody, for you to be healthy and well x

Mouse
16-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I just find it so frustrating with some parents.

I have one mum who kept her child off for 2 days last week as his sister had a stomach bug and she didn't want to take the chance of the lo passing it on, even though he hadn't actually been ill! Then you have the one who knowingly sends a sick child...and it's not the first time. I do understand how difficult it can be for working parents, but this mum is at home while lo is here :(

Lilylulu
16-09-2013, 10:38 AM
exactly how did u word the ammendment please - we have a few doctor parents and they see to think they can say - oh its not contagious - for many things....recently had to send one away the day as Dr dad turned up (we had sent her home sick the day before) and state 48 hr exclusion period. We have it on our policies and have always stuck to it, but there is an incident atleast once a yearwhere one parent thinks the rules dont apply in their case

KAZBAZ55
16-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Good girl for telling them you knew they were lying. The very fact they lied meant they knew she should have been at home. Very naughty but glad you stood up to them. Its horrible when parents don't put the children first..have had similar myself but have never actually confronted the parents on it...will be braver next time!!! :o

kellib
16-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Well done for telling them off, unbelievable and all the worse when a parent is at home!

I had one last week who had an upset tummy, mum said it was because she'd had lentil soup, 3 hours later I had to send her home as she really wasn't well!

KaicosMummy
16-09-2013, 11:18 AM
exactly how did u word the ammendment please - we have a few doctor parents and they see to think they can say - oh its not contagious - for many things....recently had to send one away the day as Dr dad turned up (we had sent her home sick the day before) and state 48 hr exclusion period. We have it on our policies and have always stuck to it, but there is an incident atleast once a yearwhere one parent thinks the rules dont apply in their case

I shall run upstairs in a bit and grab it, I shall write it exactly how I have worded it in the policy :-)

KaicosMummy
16-09-2013, 11:41 AM
The paragraph relating to d&v in my policy reads like this........ I do not provide care for any child who is unwell, has a temperature, sickness, diarrhoea or an infectious illness. Children may only attend the setting if they are able to partake in our usual daily routine and join in with activities.
The exclusion period for ANY sickness or diarrhoea is 48 hours from the last incident of either. Please do not request that I receive a child into my setting within the exclusion period if you think it may be due to causes other than a bug, such as teething etc, as I am not medically trained and without medical tests this cannot be deciphered.

Lilylulu
16-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Thankyou :) the wording of 'i'm not medically qualified' kind of puts us at risk of receiveing their 'I am a doctor and it's not contagious' judgement.....might have to try along the lines of "we adhere to the advice given by the Health Protection Agency for illness in early years settings' or something like that. It is so tricky isn't it. x

Kerry30
16-09-2013, 12:23 PM
It really annoys me when u dont get told a child has been ill. Cos when u go down with it, its not just one family that you then have to let down.

KaicosMummy
16-09-2013, 12:25 PM
It is tricky, but even though they are medically trained they cant know for sure if it is contagious without sending off for tests, and if they wanted to bring them in with a signed letter from the childs own doctor to say tests had been done then they would be welcome to bring them back, but that wouldnt happen because by the time appointment booked, tedts sent off and come back the 48 hours would be well over, ha. I would just say from a safeguarding point of view we have to follow HPA advice and exclusions. Depending on how well you get on with the parents you could say you completely understand their frustration at having to miss work, but if the situation were reversed, how furious on a scale of one to ten would they be if you allowed another sick child into the setting which infected you and you were out of action for three or four days leaving then without childcare. It is tricky, parents can be an awkward species, and I fully include myself in that observation!

Shamai
16-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Good for you Mouse, I've amended my sickness policy after my recent events to say I will not accept a child who requires four hourly calpol after being told 'its OK we've dosed him up, he will be fine until 11am, give him some more then'. Child was clearly not well, turned out he had tonsilitus.

Lottie
16-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Good for you! I had to give one of my parents a ticking off for something similar recently.