PDA

View Full Version : Permission to disclose

lorettacritchet
16-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi,

One of my parents has refused "permission to disclose to social services" in case of any abuse allegations etc. Obviously I am a bit shocked but don't know how to handle this.

Can someone please advise me? thanks

Lilylulu
16-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Safeguarding laws override other confidentiality rules so it would never be an issue, why do u even need to ask permission? Our permission to share is just for other settings/related professionals - eg - consulting our CSSO. It is a bit odd, I would ask them why they decline permission, maybe they just misunderstood it.

smartbear
16-09-2013, 10:04 AM
We phrase ours slightly differently, there is nothing in our safeguarding policy that is asking permission - they have to sign to say they've had a copy AND read & understood it. Really we're informing them of the procedure.

"If a child shares information that might lead us to suspect that they or another child is in a situation of threat we will

• support them whilst they are talking, however, we will not ask leading questions or prompt them in any way
• never promise to keep an allegation secret
• explain what course of action we are required to take, in a manner appropriate to the child’s stage of development
• make a factual record of what we have seen or heard, including the exact words used by the child (if applicable)
• record the date, time, and location of the disclosure, stating who was present at the time
• speak to the child’s parent/carer, unless it is likely that doing so might place the child or other family members in further danger
• report our concerns to Social Care

As care providers for your child, we’re required to follow the local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB) procedures. In Leeds, the contact details for Social Care are:

0113 xxxxxxxx – Local Authority call centre
0113 xxxxxxxx – Out of hours number

We would follow the procedures laid out on the Children Leeds pathways flowchart. This is available for parents to view if they wish, or can be found on their website."

This makes it clear that we have a legal obligation. But it does always feel awkward!

Could you do a quick reword & put a new policy out for everyone to sign so they don't feel it's just aimed at them? x

maisiemog
16-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I didnt think legally they could refuse. As a duty of care we have to report suspected abuse and are breaking the law if we don't aren't we?

k1rstie
16-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I do not think you have to ask persission

KAZBAZ55
16-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Same, they have no choice you have to disclose. Why would the parent refuse?? Its makes you worry that they would!!
:eek:

Jiorjiina
16-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I ask permission as a matter of courtesy, but if I had real concerns I would report whether the parents had given their consent or not.

sarah707
16-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I have never asked permission - I inform parents that I am legally required to inform the authorities if I have a concern about their child.

I think you need to remove it from your permissions and put it into your safeguarding procedures as a statement.

Hth :D

lizduncan72
16-09-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't ask permission either-parents are told if I have concerns then I will be sharing information

scottishlass
16-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't ask permission either-parents are told if I have concerns then I will be sharing information

Yeah I am the same too x