PDA

View Full Version : Seperate room for work?

amyp
15-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Do many of you use a spare room for work? Do you keep all activities to this room or still use the rest of the house?

I think I want to dedicate a room so I can separate work!

Mouse
15-09-2013, 10:39 AM
I have one room set up for childminding. It has toy storage, child sized furniture, displays on the walls etc. The rest of the house has nothing childminding related in it on a permanent basis. During the day we move from room to room, taking things we want to other parts of the house. By 3.30, when my own (older) children come in from school, everything is moved back to the childminding room and the rest of the house is clear again.

We reached a compromise. We lost one family room as it's dedicated to childminding, but it means the rest of the house can stay clutter free. I have use of the whole house while my family are out, but my family have clear space when they are home.

My daughter and I still use the childminding room at evenings and weekends as our getaway room. We can watch TV in peace, or do our crafts without interference from the men/boys of the house.

It's one of those things that you have to try and see why works for you :thumbsup:

munch149
15-09-2013, 10:42 AM
Same as above I have childminding space but use rest of the house yet at the end of the day everything goes into playroom so house us our own for evenings and weekends

beachgirl29
15-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I have a playroom with lots of childminding stuff and our living room is just for family and i don't even let parents store pushchairs in there anymore. The hallway has some things notice board and certificates up with mini coat hooks for the kids. Upstairs the bathroom is used for all and middle bedroom is an office and toy store with space for travel cot for sleeps.
Its best to keep it abit separate i think...you need some space for your family and I've noticed my childminding area is getting very worn out but has done well for 3 years so far!

My daughter keeps trying to invite mindees to her bedroom to play but i ban it.

clareelizabeth1
15-09-2013, 11:52 AM
I have a playroom. When I became a childminder I had no children so it worked as it never came in to the rest of the house. I could close the door and my work day was older.

Now I have ds it still is quite like that only the door closes at bedtime instead. The rest of the house I try to keep toy free as it is just easier to play in the playroom. As ds is learning to move it is starting to creep throughout the house so I do a sweep after he's in bed so i can relax and enjoy my evening.

shortstuff
15-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I am lucky enough to have a playroom. The even luckier part is there is a toilet at one end too so cming only uses downstairs. That is unless a non walker will be sleeping in a travel cot upstairs.

This means ds has his own space which I feel is vital. Toys dont leave the playroom but we use the lounge diner during the day too. We do crafts either in the playroom or at the table and very occasionally we will have the tv on.

cathtee
15-09-2013, 06:00 PM
I've had a conseratory built this year and I use it as a playroom in the week and a conservatory for the weekend it works really well:thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
15-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I use my dining room as a playroom, but it does have our dining table in there. The living room has no toys or anything in there but with having our own 5 yo we'd have toys all over anyway so its not so bad for me, I'm not so bothered about it as I imagine I might be if I didn't have my kids of my own
Also have converted garage into a separate playroom as an extra space, it was just a dumping ground for lawn mower, broken toys etc so I'm glad I did it as we love it in there xx

greanan
15-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I use my living room as main childminding room. It's been totally taken over - kids toys, kids table and chairs, climbing frame!! Kitchen and bathroom has kids stuff in. Porch has buggy and kids pegs, notice boards etc. spare room upstairs has kids bedding on and travel cot. Other spare room is used to store all the toys etc that isn't in living room. It's totally taken over and I've no children of my own lol!!

KAZBAZ55
16-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I have a large through lounge which we have split into two seperate rooms...one for the family & one for my cm. Doors between the 2 rooms mean they are open during the day & then close when my kids come home from school so they have their own space. I also have another smaller playroom which is also dedicated to cm & then crafts etc we do in the kitchen at the table & the low childrens table. It works well as it still feels very open through whole house during the day but when we shut the playroom door & my cm doors we have our house again. :laughing:

PeekABoos
16-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I wish I had a room I could use just for CM, I have loads of ideas of what I could do in there decorating etc. Would use my garage as its only used for junk atm but I doubt it would be allowed. Xx

doris127
16-09-2013, 01:03 PM
When we extended we added a playroom so my living rpm could be free of the bright plastic that seemed to accompany my dds through their early years. Its just off the kitchen so I can keep an eye on the wee ones while I clear up. The schoolies can use the tv/wiiafter school but it is strictly a toy free zone. All crafts etc are done in the kitchen

ziggy
16-09-2013, 01:24 PM
I have a play room and a spare bedroom for children to sleep and storage of toys. Bathroom has changing unit, potty etc. In kitchen i have high chair n booster seat. all other rooms not used for work. Love putting everything in playroom on a friday afternoon and closing door.

primula
16-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Wish I had a playroom:( toy box in the front room plus a little kitchen thing and books! dining room is where we do messy play ( hoping to move this to kitchen soon!) stuff, sorry resources! in cupboard under the stairs, chest of drawers, paperwork in dresser cupboards, more stuff in a shed in the garden and the sit and rides etc in little playhouse!! bit of a nightmare really!! And I have had a serious sort out! think I noticed a lot more now because my youngest is seventeen now!!

scottishlass
16-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I use my conservatory as my playroom which works well - only problem is can be too hot to play in the summer and too cold in the winter! Xx

kellyskidz!
17-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I wish I had a room I could use just for CM, I have loads of ideas of what I could do in there decorating etc. Would use my garage as its only used for junk atm but I doubt it would be allowed. Xx

Your definitely allowed to use your garage as a playroom but if its not joined onto your house it can't be classed as a proper minding room. I use my separate garage as an indoor/outdoor space and told OFSTED I planned to use it as a soft play area for when its too cold or wet to get outside and she loved it :)
It has to have adequate ventilation and heating as well as natural light coming in, but other than that its fine to use as extra space x

PeekABoos
17-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Your definitely allowed to use your garage as a playroom but if its not joined onto your house it can't be classed as a proper minding room. I use my separate garage as an indoor/outdoor space and told OFSTED I planned to use it as a soft play area for when its too cold or wet to get outside and she loved it :)
It has to have adequate ventilation and heating as well as natural light coming in, but other than that its fine to use as extra space x

That is the thing its separate from the house and the only door on it is the one you would drive through lol no windows nothing so it wouldn't be good. Though if i got a gate/fence play pen fence to go round it I could maybe use it as a soft play outside area for when its wet/cold. Ooo love that idea :D Xx

bindy
17-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I have a large playroom and also my living room but once we move into a large house, the living room, dining room,bedrooms will be off bounds to the kids. The reason why I am moving into a bigger property, so my daughter and I can have our own space. We will have a playroom and also a garage converted into another area of play, plus a good size garden!