PDA

View Full Version : United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child

Simona
13-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Do you include any of children's rights in your policy and practice? #UNCRC

Rights of the Child (http://www.scribd.com/doc/167722158/Rights-of-the-Child)

Bambini2
14-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I do have a copy of UNICEF "Children's Rights & Responsibilities" included in my folder along with all my policies but do not mention it specifically in any of my policies.Perhaps I should? It was given to everyone on my last but one Safeguarding Course.

wellybelly
14-09-2013, 01:37 PM
I've started to as I studied a bit about it in my foundation degree and I'm now doing my top up. I think its good to add other "legislation" if that's what its classed as. I write my policies then link it to the EYFS, Ofsted and anything else.

smartbear
14-09-2013, 05:33 PM
I do Truss doesn't!

Simona
14-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I do Truss doesn't!

Ah Truss!!!...she has not really a good grasp of EYFS so I would not think she has gone as far as looking at the Child's Rights let alone put them in practice!

I have included many of the Articles in various policies...I wanted to hear if anyone had also done so..how and in which policies.
Do share if you have

manjay
15-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Interesting one Simona! Obviously mine is a slightly different perspective being in Wales.

There is heavy focus on the UNCRC in Wales and it is regularly referenced throughout the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare. Welsh Government commit to using the UNCRC for all policies for children and a new law was introduced in 2011 (The Rights of Children and Young Persons (Wales) Measure) to further embed the principles. We have seven core aims for children all based on the UNCRC and within documentation it always states which Article relates to each claim.

Our NMS states that staff are 'aware of the UNCRC and it's implications for their work and their interaction with children' and all feedback I receive is that it is always questioned in Inspections. Personally I have it interwoven throughout my policies but I also have a specific 'Participation and Children's Rights Policy' which sets out the way it is interpreted in my setting.