PDA

View Full Version : Emerging, developing and secure

sing-low
13-09-2013, 06:55 PM
Could someone explain these concepts to me? In terms of how to do obs? I know what the words mean(!), just finding it hard to put into practice. Or point me in the direction of an explanation in the resources? I know I read one somewhere (probably on here:)) but can't remember where or find it again.

LauraS
13-09-2013, 07:06 PM
As I understand it, it's like this:

A month ago my littlest minder started to walk. He would let go of the sofa and stand independently, then take a step or two or three before falling on his bottom. I'd call that an emerging skill, one which is very new, needs lots ofnconcentration and has variable results.

At the moment, he is walking further and with better stability. However, he does walk on his toes a little, grips the furniture when sometimes when unsure and does sometimes wobble and fall over when the ground is uneven. I'd say that's developing, as the skill now comes more naturally but not quite there

A lo who is eight months older than him is walking confidently, on most terrains and is able to go wherever he needs to be without falling (mostly) or needing To think about it. I'd call that secure, as the skill is natural and automatic and results are reliable iykwim.

AgentTink
13-09-2013, 07:07 PM
i tend to use these words for my tracker sheet where i track how the child is progresing through the development matters sheets

For example if i see a child do something like walk up the stairs holding my hand for the first time then i put the date in the box moving and handling under physical development, and write E for emergering. As more and more obs/parental feedback etc is noted I then keep looking at these boxes and adding more dates, and re-evaluating how the childs development is in the whole of moving and handling. Once i feel the child can do most things i would then put the date and letter D, and finally once the child is able to do majority of things confidently and without too much support then i would date it and put S.

Does that help at all?

moggy
13-09-2013, 07:17 PM
I don't use these term at all. If CMs don't even understand them then how are parents going to? I just use plain English.

I also feel the use of these terms with reference to DM leads to the dreaded 'tick box' effect- checking the child is doing (or 'emerging' or whatever) in each of the listed things in DM. The things listed are NOT meant to be checked directly against, they are just an overall idea of what a child of that age might be doing if following 'normal' development. The child might not do one or two or many of the statements and still be 100% developing 'normally', they will definitely do a lot which is not listed in DM!

sarah707
13-09-2013, 08:05 PM
I use something similar on my trackers but they are mostly for me to make sure i am not missing anything rather than parents who are just happy to know their children are happy :D