PDA

View Full Version : Crying on drop off and now collection

NinaBowen
13-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I have had a little boy for over a year now (2 years old just) and over the last month or two he has been crying on drop off in the morning. Clinging to mum and not wanting to come in. However, once mum goes not even a minute later, he is fine, and playing. Today he cried on collection too so mum obviously thought that he had been like that all day which of course he hadn't been. I assured her that he hadn't and then later this afternoon I emailed her a picture I had taken of him this morning smiling when we did our activity together to give further reassurance.

What can I do, if anything to stop him crying on drop off?

I also thought about asking her to sneak back some time during the day and have a look through the window so she can see how happy he is here.

cathtee
13-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I've had children like this, I just reassure mom that he's fine after she has gone and that he plays happily all day, crying on collection I
usually think it's that they've such a good day they don't want to go home. Mine all seem to grow out of it it's just a phase to make mom
feel guilty and it usually works!

karen m
13-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I have a 2.5 year who has been like this each morning this week, I have been looking after him now for a year although he is only TT as mum works in TT only nursery, this morning he was really bad and I did pass comment about him suddenly not liking to come ( even on his first day this LO never cried) I have had his older brother who has now gone to mum nursery and elder sister who I still have before school hoping it is just missing brother because after 2 minutes he is fine

tulip0803
13-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I have a 2.5 yo who has been doing the crying on drop off for more than 6 months. I told Mum to stay at door one day and she heard the crying stop as soon as the door shut. We now cling to Mum and cry then I take her away shut the door walk to the window and smile and wave to Mummy when she drives off:rolleyes:. Today she cried on pick up because she did not want to go! she ran in the opposite direction to Mummy!

I had one years ago that used to cry when Mummy left the house to go to work but if she stood at the end of the path and he walked down the path waving to mummy dragging his bag it was fine. I think that in his mind he was leaving mummy that way not she leaving him.

sarah707
13-09-2013, 08:03 PM
I'd suggset you look at your arrival routines to make sure it is exciting for the lo.

How about photos or something else to put on a noticeboard to distract so the lo wants to come in :D