PDA

View Full Version : Variations?!

maisiemog
13-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Ok, so mum of twins came round today. I have agreed to take on the twins for three hours twice a week. They are only 7mths so obviously I need a variation. They start on 2nd Oct when dd is full time school so I have three EY spaces and they will be my only EY children.

Do I still need to contact ofsted to sort a variation or do I risk assess and do it myself? Never needed a variation before so its all new. I'm assuming that as it is for twins I won't have any problem with the two under one thing?!

cathtee
13-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I think you risk assess and do your own variation.

NinaBowen
13-09-2013, 05:58 PM
No such thing as variations anymore!

CH1957
14-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Yes, just risk assess and do your own variation. There will be no problem with the 2 under 1's as they are twins. I usually complete the old Ofsted variation forms and file them for when I am inspected so I can prove I did everything correctly. I think there might be some forms in the free resources at top of page.

Nicola Carlyle
14-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Yes, just risk assess and do your own variation. There will be no problem with the 2 under 1's as they are twins. I usually complete the old Ofsted variation forms and file them for when I am inspected so I can prove I did everything correctly. I think there might be some forms in the free resources at top of page.

Where do you get the old ofsted variation from? x

Simona
14-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Where do you get the old ofsted variation from? x

There is no old variation form...look at EYFS 2012 p.21 Childminders section

Rick
14-09-2013, 09:57 AM
These two threads might help you write your risk assessment and letters to parents :thumbsup:

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Childminder%20variations%20from%2009.2012.pdf

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/Changing%20conditions%20of%20registration%20from%2 009.2012.pdf

Mouse
14-09-2013, 10:41 AM
I kept a copy of the old Ofsted variation form and complete that when I am applying exceptions. You have to think about the same things as you did then and it's evidence in case my exceptions are ever queried.

CH1957
15-09-2013, 08:29 AM
There is no old variation form...look at EYFS 2012 p.21 Childminders section

I use the form that Ofsted required you to complete prior to EYFS 2012. That way I know I am covering everything needed. I was advised to do this by my DO and several other 'Outstanding' Childminders.

As Mouse says, its evidence that you have done things correctly if the variation is queried.

shortstuff
15-09-2013, 08:42 AM
I use the form that Ofsted required you to complete prior to EYFS 2012. That way I know I am covering everything needed. I was advised to do this by my DO and several other 'Outstanding' Childminders.

As Mouse says, its evidence that you have done things correctly if the variation is queried.

Would you please send me a copy of that form? I started up after the new eyfs x thanks x im more than happy to pm you my email address x

Simona
15-09-2013, 09:25 AM

There is no harm in using the 'old' form as guidance...it was called a grid if I recall correctly followed by pages of reflection of practice, but that was for Ofsted to judge if they could grant the variation and then dispatch a certificate with the conditions after a cm had explained certain steps

What I am trying to say is that it is now up to 'our' judgement, risk assessment and agreement with parents....if all fits then we can take on the children....

The present system allows this for 'exceptional' circumstances, for a limited period and at our discretion if the criteria fits....in this case I feel it is stated very clearly it refers to caring for 'sibling babies' unless I read it wrong?

Mouse
15-09-2013, 10:04 AM
There is no harm in using the 'old' form as guidance...it was called a grid if I recall correctly followed by pages of reflection of practice, but that was for Ofsted to judge if they could grant the variation and then dispatch a certificate with the conditions after a cm had explained certain steps

What I am trying to say is that it is now up to 'our' judgement, risk assessment and agreement with parents....if all fits then we can take on the children....

The present system allows this for 'exceptional' circumstances, for a limited period and at our discretion if the criteria fits....in this case I feel it is stated very clearly it refers to caring for 'sibling babies' unless I read it wrong?

Ofsted seem to be pulling CMs up on exceptions at the moment. I have 4 EYs children every day at some point, although not all day, every day. They are long term arrangements. I know I will be questioned on it at some time, probably during my next inspection, so want to cover myself. I know it is fully up to my judgement, but by completing a copy of the old variation form, I can show that I have considered all the aspects an inspector will take into account when deciding whether or not to agree with my decision.
The judgement call is mne, but if I have thoroughly documented it, as Ofsted like us to, there is less chance of them being able to disagree with me :thumbsup:

CH1957
15-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Exactly what Mouse says :D

Simona
15-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Exactly what Mouse says :D

But of course CH1957...you must use whichever form you feel is best for you...pre EYFS 2012 or a new devised post EYFS 2012
We are all free to interpret the requirements as we feel suits our practice best

At the end of the day we are left to argue with the inspector as to how we see the new ruling and make it clear we 'interpret' it that way and then listen to the inspector's own interpretation...
Good luck with whatever you do!