PDA

View Full Version : School readiness - is there a definition?

Mouse
13-09-2013, 10:57 AM
As the title says, is there a definition for "school readiness"?

Are there guidelines on what it means, what a child should be doing to be 'school ready'? Is it a set of targets or just a general term?

AgentTink
13-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Good question Mouse, i have been thinking the same over the last few months because it is a term that keeps getting used by the governement but im still unsure exactly what a child should be able to do upon entering reception/year 1.

Thats another question when they say school readiness do they mean for reception or year 1?

My little girl has just turned 4 a few weeks ago and has just started reception, and it is obvious that she is behind 2 of her friends who are both 5 this month. Not in intelligence, more in social skills and general day to day things. I have worked really hard with my daughter over the last few months to helpher independance in buttoning her clothes, working zips, using knife and fork, opening bananas, etc just so that she wouldnt start school unprepared.

kellyskidz!
13-09-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't think there is because they're all so young at 4 and 5 to be defined
My daughter is the friendliest most loving outgoing child I know and yet she's an August baby and so is behind her peers (y1) regarding reading and writing. Am I bothered? Not really, she'll catch up and is actually performing above average for her age
There is also a girl in her class (almost 6) who has read the first Harry Potter! Genius child I thought, until I saw her screaming and crying because my daughter sat next to someone else and not her. No social skills.
I think in the first few years of school they are settling and adjusting and finding out their strengths and weaknesses, so no I don't think the term school ready should really apply to 4 and 5 or even 6 year olds xx

AliceK
13-09-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure there is an actual "definition" (maybe there should be?) but my own definition is that a child is capable of certain physical skills to be able to put on their own coats, get changed for PE, wipe their bums and wash their hands etc. Social skills, being capable of following simple instruction. Be capable of listening.
Be able to recognise their own name so that they can find their coat pegs, work trays etc.
If a child is interested in reading / writing then great that's a bonus. Too much pressure is put on 3yr olds to start reading and writing and I absolutely HATE to see it. Let them be children, childhood is so short as it is.

xxxxx

Simona
13-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure there is an actual "definition" (maybe there should be?) but my own definition is that a child is capable of certain physical skills to be able to put on their own coats, get changed for PE, wipe their bums and wash their hands etc. Social skills, being capable of following simple instruction. Be capable of listening.
Be able to recognise their own name so that they can find their coat pegs, work trays etc.
If a child is interested in reading / writing then great that's a bonus. Too much pressure is put on 3yr olds to start reading and writing and I absolutely HATE to see it. Let them be children, childhood is so short as it is.

xxxxx

You can add comprehension and speaking, self confidence and ability to follow rules, guiding own behaviour because children understand what it means and above all 'emotional intelligence'!
Send Truss Daniel Goleman's book ...she could learn a lot from it.

These are skills that children will eventually achieve but, as they are put into formal schooling too soon many have not developed them....so the labelling starts!

According to Truss 'school readiness' is sitting down, not run around in an unruly way, ability to wipe own bottoms when at 4 many children have not developed those fine motor skills as yet as they cannot co-ordinate the action required.

Ability to write...does Truss know that nerve endings do not develop until 7 years of age? therefore some children do not have tripod grasp for writing...
All this is in Steve Biddulph ' Raising boys' ...another book for Truss to digest before she sphews out nonsense!
...or and let's add 'Why love matters' by Sue Gerhardt

Once she has read these she may be able to understand children and their development!