PDA

View Full Version : Inspection following complaint

Tazmin68
12-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I have just had an inspector leave as she ran out of time will be returning next Wednesday afternoon to finish off. Last Friday a 2 year old that I look after while I was in school playground took his shoes off and was walking around in the rain. I felt really bad as I did not notice that he had done this. Any way when I did which was about 5 minutes later we put shoes on. I could not carry him to the car from school as I had another child in a buggy but as soon as in car took shoes and socks off and when home cleaned his feet and put fresh socks on. Anyway someone contacted ofsted and it has triggered this inspection. So far all ok and as she has run out of time she is coming back on Wednesday afternoon.

kellyskidz!
12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Oh poor you!!
My 18mo boy mindee is always ragging his shoes off when we're outside so I'd be in trouble lol
Shame that you got reported for this as you didn't see it happen, and nobody is perfect. Some people just like to complain I think
It's a pain but OFSTED do have to follow up complaints, see it as an opportunity to improve and ask questions about anything you've wanted to know
Hope everything goes ok weds, that's annoying too that she's doing 2 days, so you're going to be anxious for another day!x

littlemiss60561
12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Omg ...some people! We so have to watch our backs! Sad your having to go through this but good luck I'm sure it will be fine x

cathtee
12-09-2013, 06:20 PM
There some horrible people about, it's bad enough that Ofsted came out but for her to leave halfway through I personally think that's
really not fair on you to be left worrying about it.

Kirsty90
12-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Some people are just total busy body's! They have nothing better to do :-( hope today wasnt too bad & hope Wednesday comes and goes quickly for you!

Out of interest how many people have had inspections following complaints? I had a complaint made against me back in January by an ex parent that I was having payment problems with. Ofsted sent me a letter telling me about what the parent had said & that if I feel anything needs doing about it I should do it but not contact them & they would check on my next inspection. Do you think I might get an unannounced inspection for this?

Thanks

Kirsty x

karen m
12-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I had inspection after a complaint although complaint was made in November they only came to me I end of January . Parent said I had hit her child now if this had been true I think they took far to long to come to inspect , luckily I keep a register and the date I was meant to of hit the child need even had her

charlottenash
12-09-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish Ofsted would laugh these idiots out the door.

charlottenash
12-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Meaning the people who make the complaints!

funemnx
12-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Good grief, have these people have nothing else to do but make stupid compaints! Children do take there shoes off/refuse coats in the cold and numerous other things! Sending hugs! ((( ))) xx

jax clinch
12-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Oh poor you. I had a complaint made against me lat year and its such an awful feeling isn't it!!!! Hope your inspection goes well, good luck x

blue bear
12-09-2013, 07:41 PM
So what was the complaint? I don't get it, child had shoes off and was wallowing in a sensory experience, perfectly safe in the playground, you put shoes and socks on to get back to the car, dried his feet and warmed him up. Am I right?
So the only tng I can think of was you were briefly unaware what he was doing, is that it? What did ofsted say?

hectors house
12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
I heard of something similar happening to a minder in my area - child kept taking shoes and socks off in buggy on way to school on a very cold day, she kept putting them back on but eventually as worried about being late to collect from school and worried about losing a shoe she stopped playing the "game" but someone reported her for child being inadequately dressed on a cold day.

Pity we can't report parents - I used to see one of my mindees in the playground wearing just a tee shirt instead of a coat and sometimes still in PJ's.

amyp
12-09-2013, 08:23 PM
The rubbish thing is if you had planned a walking in the rain barefoot session you would get brownie points!!! X

vals
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
I had a complaint about a long list of things - had already given parent notice - not that they told Ofsted that bit. Bit the list was so daft that I don't know why they even considered it worthy of an unannounced visit eg.the chidminder thinks its wrong that a child needs a wee every 10 minutes. lol the fact that the child concerned had been potty trained for a year, suddenly developed needing a frequent wee which I let mum know about who took him to doctors who said he had a urine infection.
So the visit was to tell me about it and decide if the complaint was justified. A few weeks later I got a call saying I was due for an inspection - had one the year before - I was upset as it wasn't due and I didn't realise that even a complaint that finds nothing still triggered another inspection.

Tazmin68
12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
I am only really concerned in that as I was only inspected less than 2 years ago that I had not submitted an up to date SEF which I was going to start doing over the next month when I would have been closer to 2 years. I have spent approx. 3 hours going through it but will she look again to see if I have updated it. All of my paperwork is all up to date so I have no worries there. Basically with having unannounced inspections I suppose we have to keep updating and submitting sefs every few months just in case.

parents are annoyed and upset about this not with me but with Ofsted not just investigating but also carrying out inspection but they are used to Ofsted and mom is a teacher and dad is a ta.

rickysmiths
12-09-2013, 11:39 PM
I have never done a Sef and don't intend to do one any time soon. No inspector can expect one and even if you do one they can not comment if it is not continually up dated. It is not required under EYFS.

charlottenash
13-09-2013, 05:22 AM
I have never done a Sef and don't intend to do one any time soon. No inspector can expect one and even if you do one they can not comment if it is not continually up dated. It is not required under EYFS.

It was the reason I was downgraded from good to satisfactory so that's rubbish!! It's in my Ofsted report?

vals
13-09-2013, 06:17 AM
I've never done one either and its never been mentioned as a problem.

Sarsar3NCH
13-09-2013, 06:45 AM
I haven't done a SEF either but as long as you can show the inspector that you self evaluate your provision they will be happy. It's all about evidence, whether it be your own way or their way.

AgentTink
13-09-2013, 06:52 AM
It was the reason I was downgraded from good to satisfactory so that's rubbish!! It's in my Ofsted report?

Charlotte could you provide the exact words that was wrote on your report in regards to SEF/Self Evaluation, as it would help others know what is they are looking for.

charlottenash
13-09-2013, 08:20 AM
The childminder is not precise in her use of self-evaluation to identify her targeted plans for continued improvement to the provision for children.

charlottenash
13-09-2013, 08:20 AM
She must expand the process of self-evaluation, in order to identify precise areas for further development within a targeted action plan.

AgentTink
13-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Thank you so much for sharing that Charlotte.

I dont do a SEF however i am confident that the forms of self evaluation I do use easily show an inspector that I have thought about my provision and am constantly lookinf for areas to improve and develop for the benefit of the children in my care.

I have the following sheets:
Ideas to Improve Provision - I note down any ideas i get, areas i am lacking in, or wish to implement and why. Some i do and some i dont. If i do implement them then I fill in one of the next sheets
Resources/Learning Environment - I note down any new resources and why i added them.
Training - I note training courses and what i got from them, and if i will change anything in my practise
Activities - I note new activities/days out and what benefits they bring
Feedback/Comments - I note down parents feedback and what i have done with it
CPD - I note down research/further readings and if they have helped me identify anything
Statutory Regulation - I note down changes needed such as policy's etc and why

I find this works for me, and shows that i am constantly self evaluating, and trying to better my provision.

charlottenash
13-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I like those ideas I may take a few on board! Thank you :)

angeldelight
13-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Poor you

Good luck

Angel xx

kellyskidz!
13-09-2013, 09:50 AM

My inspector asked to see my SEF forms straight away, so she did expect to see one. I don't know if its 'required under the EYFS' but I know OFSTED want to see how you evaluate yourself and your setting regularly!:huh:

Note: I think a bit should be added to original post that if SEF forms are not a requirement you SHOULD evaluate your setting every so often, as its good practise and Ofsted will want to see this. There are new cms on here, who haven't had an inspection and its a bit misleading to say SEF forms are not required, they may not be, but OFSTED will ask how you evaluate your setting and how often. No one should be thinking they don't ever have to evaluate x

Simona
13-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Once again we see inspectors 'interpreting' their own way
SEF is not compulsory to do, however, this inspector decides it is a point for improvement.

Someone ought to ring Ofsted to clarify this point...if the SEF is now compulsory we can take steps...if it is not Ofsted should know that their inspectors, or those outsourced to do the inspections have got the facts wrong!

The only way Ofsted can act is when these issues are reported to them directly...discussing in the forum or any other social media, is useful but will not resolve the issue.

kellyskidz!
13-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Once again we see inspectors 'interpreting' their own way
SEF is not compulsory to do, however, this inspector decides it is a point for improvement.

Someone ought to ring Ofsted to clarify this point...if the SEF is now compulsory we can take steps...if it is not Ofsted should know that their inspectors, or those outsourced to do the inspections have got the facts wrong!

The only way Ofsted can act is when these issues are reported to them directly...discussing in the forum or any other social media, is useful but will not resolve the issue.

Agreed, because when mrs O rang me to say she was coming out I specifically remember her saying make sure you have your SEF forms done ready for me to go through. So I assumed they were totally compulsory and am a little annoyed if I spend almost 3 hours filling out that dreaded, repetitive form if they're not compulsory and I can evaluate myself using my own methods and forms!
Also if Charlotte was marked down for not doing one, and she didn't need to, she could have evaluated her setting in her own way, then that's wrong too xx

Tazmin68
13-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Then you the issue that with unannounced inspections and having an up to date sef then really we need to be updating out sefs and submitting them every month or so just in case you get an unannounced inspection as the first thing she said was that I had not submitted an up to date sef.

Simona
13-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Agreed, because when mrs O rang me to say she was coming out I specifically remember her saying make sure you have your SEF forms done ready for me to go through. So I assumed they were totally compulsory and am a little annoyed if I spend almost 3 hours filling out that dreaded, repetitive form if they're not compulsory and I can evaluate myself using my own methods and forms!
Also if Charlotte was marked down for not doing one, and she didn't need to, she could have evaluated her setting in her own way, then that's wrong too xx

The very reason for the Ofsted SEF is that the inspector can read it in advance of an inspection...if she asks to read it during the inspection that defeats the object and makes the inspection much longer

Another change in what we were told should happen but it is clearly not happening....only Ofsted HQ can clarify.

As a tool for reflection yes it should be updated regularly but not unnecessarily...and yes since unannounced inspections can happen to us all the SEF needs to be ready at all times and not when we 'expect' a schedule inspection.

KaicosMummy
13-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I give out regular questionnaires to parents and children, do a safeguarding self audit, inclusion self audit, keep a spreadsheet of interactions with other settings and outcomes and update any courses or self learning I have done and how it has changed my practice and keep it in my Continual Professional Development folder. I dont do an SEF too as I thought I wss prob covering most areas with this folder. What does everybody think? Or could you think of anything else I could add?

watgem
13-09-2013, 02:22 PM
sending you big hugs poor you, but I think if Ofsted were really concerned they would have made the effort to do the inspection in one go ifyswim? the fact that she left you with children still in your care suggests that perhaps its just a formality? with regards to the SEF I hadn't fully completed mine and it was mentioned as a recommendation in my last inspection. Hope everything goes well for you next weekxxx

rickysmiths
13-09-2013, 09:13 PM

But the thing is they should not have down graded you for not doing a Sef because they are not compulsory under EYFS. You should have asked for all mention of it to be removed from your report because any mention of it is factually incorrect.

However you are required to reflect on your practice. A Sef is often the choice childminders use to demonstrate this. However reference to the Sef itself is wrong but reference to lack of or poor self reflection that may have a negative impact on your practice is not.

I have never done a Sef and until it is made compulsory I won't do one. I choose to demonstrate self reflection in spadefuls in other ways and spending time completing a Sef for me would be doing double the work and a waste of time.

Just because something is mentioned in a Report does not always mean it is right. I don't on the whole do Daily Diaries either. My last Inspector had a real bee in her bonnet about them and argued the toss that I should be doing them for ALL children, even the 7yr old in my care. I made it clear to her that I knew it was not a requirement under EYFS to do them and none of my parents at that time wanted the. Two years on and I have 4 parents who i do them for. When the Inspector did put something in my report I had it removed as the comments were factually incorrect as we are not required to do DD. Had she commented that she felt I wasn't working with my parents as effectively as I could have been then I could not have had that removed and she might have been justified in downgrading me as a result.

What I have said is not rubbish I'm afraid, it is fact.

rickysmiths
13-09-2013, 09:20 PM
My inspector asked to see my SEF forms straight away, so she did expect to see one. I don't know if its 'required under the EYFS' but I know OFSTED want to see how you evaluate yourself and your setting regularly!:huh:

Note: I think a bit should be added to original post that if SEF forms are not a requirement you SHOULD evaluate your setting every so often, as its good practise and Ofsted will want to see this. There are new cms on here, who haven't had an inspection and its a bit misleading to say SEF forms are not required, they may not be, but OFSTED will ask how you evaluate your setting and how often. No one should be thinking they don't ever have to evaluate x

I told the inspector when she arrived that I had not done a Sef and she wasn't bothered at all. I do self reflect in many ways and they are documents and were clear to see. I use similar methods to those mentioned by others.

Simona
14-09-2013, 08:04 AM
I think we are ALL missing the point...or a few points actually!

1. we have established clearly that each inspector does her own thing and uses her own interpretation...all agreed there?
so referring to the EYFS is a waste of time
Until we achieve 'consistency' and a very clear guidance on how we should be inspected, some advice on this thread is a bit worrying!
Also what happens to one cm does not happen to the next...what one inspector says is not what the next says!

2 This was discussed at #OfstedBigConversation yesterday ...we have recommended the need for 'consistency' from inspectors who MUST not apply their own rules but follow those of the inspectorate across the conutry

3. Those who have studied for degrees will have come across the cycle of reflection...Kolb rings a bell??
it is a very old concept...not the latest trend!
SEF is the tool created by Ofsted for reflection on practice and it reflects EYFS....also the terminology of the EYFS and how Ofsted judge us at inspection...
what is wrong is that some inspectors read it beforehand others do not...yet again a sign they apply their own rules...inconsistency again

I know I am going to be very unpopular now...but it should be compulsory for all!
I have never met a nursery or preschool who moan about the SEF...cms do all the time....or rather than moan they find alternatives
Why?
How can anyone inspect us unless they know how we reflect on exactly what we are practising and they are judging?

Of course we' as independent cms, have a choice...I bet anyone in an agency or network does not ...they all have to do SEF as part of the package!

4. LAs and other bodies have created different methods of self reflection...pacey used to have Quality First...mine has just expired..it was very good indeed....but has been withdrawn as a tool.
Was it useful to the inspector?...not in my case ...it was an addition to the SEF by which she judged practice
Other inspectors might consider an alternative ...that is inconsistency again!
LAs have their own reflection tool...do they give it to every cm? 'possibly' not...I have never been offered one

5. Self reflection is a normal cycle in any practice or in every day life...so why are we so reluctant to do it when we know working on our own means we have to 'reflect' twice as much as those who have a manager who gives them an appraisal?

6. it is wrong to say 'I have never done the SEF and never will' as that gives the wrong advice to cms...please reflect as an 'independent' cm what you feel is best for you...you are the boss...you take the decision...you argue with the inspector on the day.

At the moment the issue of Ofsted and inspection is a real one...whatever you do, however you feel you have covered everything...what happens at inspection is a guess...

Take a look at some examples of reflection...then decide what is best for you!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cycle+of+reflection&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Oxc0UqKgH-KW0AXm4YCoCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=991&bih=724&dpr=1

Tazmin68
15-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Well i have printed off sef just in case she does not pick it up ready for Wednesday all sorted and ready for her. Parents have handed me their questionnaires they already fill ones of every year for ccf .i know my paperwork is all ok. She said she wants to do an activity observation and will be about an hour. Just got to wait till Wednesday afternoon. I need good to carry on providing care for funded 2,3 and 4 year olds.

shortstuff
15-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Im sure you will be fine x I do think its unfair that its being done in 2 parts just to add to the stress x will be thinking of you x

christine e
15-09-2013, 05:43 PM
The rubbish thing is if you had planned a walking in the rain barefoot session you would get brownie points!!! X

Just what I was thinking

MessybutHappy
15-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Well i have printed off sef just in case she does not pick it up ready for Wednesday all sorted and ready for her. Parents have handed me their questionnaires they already fill ones of every year for ccf .i know my paperwork is all ok. She said she wants to do an activity observation and will be about an hour. Just got to wait till Wednesday afternoon. I need good to carry on providing care for funded 2,3 and 4 year olds.

Do you have your activity planned? I don't envy you, I never get time for much activity in between sleep and the school run! Good luck :-D

Ripeberry
15-09-2013, 09:40 PM
What next? Complaints about green snotty noses that have not been wiped straight away? I get children regularly in the morning that have not been wiped that morning and their face is just one big snotty mess. :mad:

Tazmin68
18-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Well. At 9 am received a call from inspector cannot make this afternoon now. She has now re arranged for Friday at 9 am as soon as I get back from school. She understands that I need to go out at 10 to collect a child and she had already said would take no longer that an hour. I did make a joke that it was going to make an interesting birthday and she did have a laugh.

Deb

scottishlass
18-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Well. At 9 am received a call from inspector cannot make this afternoon now. She has now re arranged for Friday at 9 am as soon as I get back from school. She understands that I need to go out at 10 to collect a child and she had already said would take no longer that an hour. I did make a joke that it was going to make an interesting birthday and she did have a laugh.

Deb

That's annoying after you waiting for a week! At least you know she will be quick on Friday then! Xx

Tazmin68
20-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Well she has been all over and done with. Stayed for about an hour. Been told that should be it now for a few years unless another complaint is received. Apparently I am not allowed to say what grading I got until the report has been checked over.

Deb

shortstuff
20-09-2013, 09:49 AM
Well she has been all over and done with. Stayed for about an hour. Been told that should be it now for a few years unless another complaint is received. Apparently I am not allowed to say what grading I got until the report has been checked over.

Deb

Im really glad to hear its all over for you x

Every inspector seems to say that as their notes are checked by their quality department but go on give us a clue x

ziggy
20-09-2013, 09:50 AM
bet ur glad that is over and done with

big big hugs, enjoy the rest of ur day xx

dette
20-09-2013, 10:21 AM
pleased its over for you x We promise not to tell any one if you whisper your grade :)

sarah707
20-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Fingers crossed you got the grade you hoped for! xx

Tazmin68
20-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi
I needed good as that is still a criteria to be able to provide 2 year old funding and she has indicated at good. I have 2 recommendations.
1. Make use of outdoor area which we would have done but the ground was still too wet to go out there this morning as had heavy rain most of yesterday.
2. Promote home learning ie story sacks or bags.

She was happy to see that I had actioned upon complaint made. I now insist that child stands on buggy board when walking from car to school playground and not give him opportunity to take shoes off.

I can now look forward to birthday meal now.

hectors house
20-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi
I needed good as that is still a criteria to be able to provide 2 year old funding and she has indicated at good. I have 2 recommendations.
1. Make use of outdoor area which we would have done but the ground was still too wet to go out there this morning as had heavy rain most of yesterday.
2. Promote home learning ie story sacks or bags.

She was happy to see that I had actioned upon complaint made. I now insist that child stands on buggy board when walking from car to school playground and not give him opportunity to take shoes off.

I can now look forward to birthday meal now.

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday and really hope you keep the grade the inspector has hinted at. :thumbsup:

I was thinking of you a couple of hours ago - while out at a local petting farm & park, a mindee started throwing the golf balls from the crazy golf up the concrete golf runs, then he started throwing them in puddles on the concrete and liked watching for the splash, then he wanted me to get ball back from puddle - I showed him that he could stand on dry concrete and stretch for the ball - which he did and then promptly RAN straight into the puddle with his socks and sandals on! I did exactly same as you and took his shoes and socks off when we got back to the car - place was nearly deserted so hopefully no one going to report me! But kids will be kids and that's how they learn.