PDA

View Full Version : Autumn - knowledge, understanding of the world

mrsb
13-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Sorry me again,

My theme for October is autumn (I know a bit late lol)

Anyway what could I put for the knowledge and understanding of the world section, anyone any ideas please?

Would going for a woodland walk and collecting things be it? I'm getting confused:blush:

sarah707
13-07-2008, 08:21 PM
KUW is about looking at our multicultural and diverse country (birds, animals, people, houses, plants etc) and learning about life in other countries as well.

There should also be opportunities to explore how things work, using fun activities involving designing, making and researching.

ICT is not just computers, but cameras, cd players, voice recorders, remote controlled cars, dance mats, electronic toys and games etc.

So... maybe make a matching leaves game together, do some leaf collages and look up the varieties in a library book about trees, make a map of the route you took on your leaf collecting walk, leave some nuts out for the squirrels and see if they have visited, make an outside work of art using natural materials like Andy Goldsworthy (look him up together, his site is an inspiration) ...

That sort of thing! :D

mrsb
13-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Sarah, I'd put woodland walk etc for physical in the end and the collage with the bits we'd collected under the creative development lol.

Will do the map one though, thanks for that :D

miffy
13-07-2008, 09:11 PM
For KUW in Autumn I'd be looking at how the "world" changes like the trees lose their leaves, what the animals do to prepare for winter (store up food, prepare to hibernate etc), what happens to the day - not light for as long.

Not sure I've explained it that well but hope it helps

Miffy xx

wendywu
13-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Sarah i would love to be a fly on the wall when you get inspected uner the EYFS. When she asks you a question give her your answer. Then say "and what do you think" then sit back fold your arms and wait for her to answer. Bet you know more than her:laughing: :laughing:

sarah707
14-07-2008, 06:02 AM
Sarah i would love to be a fly on the wall when you get inspected uner the EYFS. When she asks you a question give her your answer. Then say "and what do you think" then sit back fold your arms and wait for her to answer. Bet you know more than her:laughing: :laughing:

It was a bit like that on my eyfs training ... then I shut up and bit my tongue :p

foxy lady
14-07-2008, 07:51 AM
ha ha its funny i did my eyfs training the other week and i think i knew more than they did it all came from this site or the links form this site. :thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
14-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Don't forget that science in the guise of exploration and investigation is also part of KUW so you could look at how leaves change colour in the autumn.

Do leaf rubbings; collect leaves and sort and compare their shapes, colours etc. Take digital photos of the trees and things that happen in autumn - use this to make a photo collage.

Collect conkers, fir cones, etc. Find out which trees they come from. make an autumn display.

Prior to your walk think about what you might see and make a check list of things for the children to find - ie conker, twig, leaf, fir cone, etc depending upon the type of wood you're going around. They can then tick the things off and take photos of things that cannot be taken home.

Look at festivals celebrated in Autumn - Halloween springs to mind so you could make witches hats; get a pumpkin make a Jack O Lantern (then linked to exploration and investigation see what happens when it starts to decay); apple bobbing and other traditions associated with Halloween

Tatia
14-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Also, start maybe looking at a particular area like the park or a quiet street. Observe in in the summer, maybe take photos and make a collage on poster board. Then, do the same again come Autumn, photos from the same angle, to clearly show the change of the seasons. We're doing that with the duck pond and have bene taking photos of the baby swans and ducks, too as they grow. I want to make a big display next year, a square dissescted into 4 with the photos in them, under the seasons.