PDA

View Full Version : Quorn for kids?

KatieFS
12-09-2013, 10:50 AM
At what age can you feed children quorn. It's quite soft and would be great for my 7m old mindees but my sure if its one of those foods only after a year!?
Any advice?

maisiemog
12-09-2013, 10:52 AM
My dd was eating it before one and she's fine. Never had an under 1 mindee stay for dinner so not had that issue.

Maza
12-09-2013, 11:39 AM
I've given it before one as well. Kids tend to love it. I think it is quite processed though and I'm not sure what the salt content is like. We have tofu a lot too. We're not veggies by the way.

KatieFS
12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Us either but we like it as alternative to beef mince. Thanks

samb
12-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I didn't know it had an age limit? I've always used for under 1s for the texture too so I hope it's ok!

FizzWizz
12-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I use it too and mine love it. The reason you have to be careful using it with youngsters is very low fat content but as long as its part of a varied balanced diet it's fine :-)

VeggieSausage
12-09-2013, 05:15 PM
it has egg in it so as long as they can eat that then its fine....

Boris
12-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I gave my Lo's quorn sausages today. I didn't occur to me that they couldn't have it :blush: I just thought it was better than normal sausages with all that rubbish in them!

JulieA
12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Agree with veggiesausage, if ok with eggs then fine to give. I regularly make quorn meals when I have the veggie mindee in attendance, so that all the children sit down to the same meal.

hectors house
12-09-2013, 08:11 PM
My daughter decided many years ago that she was going to be vegetarian so I bought her some quorn burgers - the first time she ate them she was sick at school the next afternoon, the following week she ate some again and was sick during the night, the next week she had another one and was sick within 2 hours! We then found out that Quorn is made from concentrated mushroom (I think) and some people can't tolerate it - she then decided not to be vegetarian!

KatieFS
13-09-2013, 05:56 AM
Thank you all most informative! Ill wait till the babies are a year.. (Egg)

VeggieSausage
13-09-2013, 07:57 AM
My daughter decided many years ago that she was going to be vegetarian so I bought her some quorn burgers - the first time she ate them she was sick at school the next afternoon, the following week she ate some again and was sick during the night, the next week she had another one and was sick within 2 hours! We then found out that Quorn is made from concentrated mushroom (I think) and some people can't tolerate it - she then decided not to be vegetarian!

Yes, quorn is processed - mushroom stuff but not chopped mushroom, egg to bind it together and other stuff - they are much lower in saturated fat than eating meat but still a junk (processed) food....

freckleonear
13-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Quorn's own FAQ page used to say it was not suitable as a regular meat replacement for children under 2, but they seem to have removed that. The NHS says no quorn before 9 months: When can I give Quorn to my baby? - Health questions - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/when-can-I-give-Quorn-to-my-baby.aspx?CategoryID=62&SubCategoryID=63).

KatieFS
14-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Wow thank you for that

munch149
14-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Think over 9 months is the recommended age due to allergies

VeggieSausage
15-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Yes because it has egg in it you wouldn't necessarily give it to a young baby.....