PDA

View Full Version : terminating a contract

Dawnf77
12-09-2013, 06:21 AM
I have only been minding my newbie for 2 days but am already considering terminating the contract. This is because i feel the situation is putting everyone in danger. I collect the newbie from nursery 3 days a week. This is from a nursery that i do not usually deal with but mum was desperate as had no one to collect her. I went on a 'dummy run' with my existing mindies before i took the child on and thought the run seemed possible as it was only a 10 minute drive away. The child has been attending throughout the summer holidays as a settling in period and yesterday started at the nursery. I collected her after her session, but it was awful. Parents/minders are not allowed to park on the car park of the nursery and the roads and streets are very narrow and windy. I managed to park but could not fit my double buggy (which i use every day) on the pavement so ended up having to walk in the road, so coming out of nursery i had to do this again but with the 3 year old walking. I feel this is not a safe situation and want to terminate the contract. As i feel it is a dangerous situation can i terminate the contract immediately or give the 4 weeks notice as stated on my contract?

Kiddleywinks
12-09-2013, 07:03 AM
What does your contract say about your settling in period?
Did he attend contracted times in the summer and you got paid for them, or was it more 'getting to know you sessions' for an hour or two at a time?

If it was paid contracted hours, I would think you would now need to give 4 weeks notice, but if was getting to know you sessions, you would/should still be in your settling in period.

Can you not leave a little earlier to get closer to the nursery gates to park? Or have a word with the nursery about them allowing you to use the car park? (our local school allow minders with young children to use the staff car park as parking is a nightmare on the surrounding roads)

Chatterbox Childcare
12-09-2013, 07:39 AM
If the path is that narrow surely you wouldn't be the only one walking in the road? If you have a double buggy wouldn't the nursery child be the one holding on so why would there be a danger?

I would talk to the nursery and explain your situation, they may let you use the car park. If not I would arrive early and get a closer spot or be one of the last so everyone else had gone and you would have the freedom of a free road

This situation will happen at every nursery and school you go to - just a matter or doing the best you can

Dawnf77
12-09-2013, 08:17 AM
i am going to ask the school today if i can park on the car park, but it is tiny and all spaces already taken. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Mrs Scrubbit
12-09-2013, 10:45 PM
I feel for you on this one! I had a problem a bit like this a few years back when I had a variation in place, I had two 2 1/2yr olds and two 1yr olds so needed to use a double buggy to walk one of the older children to pre school.It turned out to be a complete nightmare as parents/carers just parked half on and half off the pavement ( if you know what I mean) all along the very busy road outside the pre school. I complained to the school, made loud 'mutterings' in earshot of the 'offenders' and even informed the police, the only response was a letter sent out to everyone by the school asking drivers to be more considerate when parking-thats all that they could do as it was not on their land...........nobody took any notice and in the end I changed the days to when I just had the one set of siblings and only needed the single buggy along with the one 'walker', it still wasn't easy but a whole lot better to manage safely with just the 2 children rather than the 4. Its hard to advise you what to do, only you know if you can ensure the safety of all your mindees and if you feel that you can't then you have no other option but to give notice and I'm sure that the parents will be pleased for your honesty and care shown towards your mindees xxx

Mrs Pootle
13-09-2013, 09:35 AM
If it's only a short drive away, would it not be possible to walk there saving you the hassle of finding a parking spot? I wouldn't have thought the nursery would allow you to use their carpark as this could open them up to all sorts of complaints from other parents and carers about preferential treatment for you.
May be give it a bit longer to see if this parking situation changes. I have noticed in the past that the first week of school the parking is awful, but soon settles down as everyone gets into a routine.

If you feel you need to give notice you will need to check what you agreed in your contract with regard to notice periods.

Mrs Scrubbit
13-09-2013, 03:34 PM
If it's only a short drive away, would it not be possible to walk there saving you the hassle of finding a parking spot? I wouldn't have thought the nursery would allow you to use their carpark as this could open them up to all sorts of complaints from other parents and carers about preferential treatment for you.
May be give it a bit longer to see if this parking situation changes. I have noticed in the past that the first week of school the parking is awful, but soon settles down as everyone gets into a routine.

If you feel you need to give notice you will need to check what you agreed in your contract with regard to notice periods.

I think a 10min drive away would be quite a walk (there and back) esp for tired little ones, I don't drive so know that it won't be much fun esp. in the winter months! xx:panic: