PDA

View Full Version : This months theme.....

Cassie
12-09-2013, 06:20 AM
I use a loose theme each month to help me plan activities and i also think it covers UtW. This month i am doing All About Me as i feel it is too early for Autumn Time (Oct). Just wondered what everybody else did!!! Do u start Autumn in Sep?

Sweetpea
12-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Not sure if it helps but this month I'm doing letter (their first name initial) craft as part of my all about me.

I'm then doing autumn in oct when we can properly see the changes and we end with firework night

miffy
12-09-2013, 06:29 AM
I'm starting Autumn but that is because one of the children is very into nature atm and another has to learn about the changing seasons for school.

Miffy xx

littleDs31
12-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Im doing food because the lo i have is a very fussy eater. Thought i could introduce new foods this way. Will do autumn in october. Autumn is my favourite theme, well that and christmas haha

singingcactus
12-09-2013, 07:24 AM
We're looking at shapes and colours at the minute. Not as a theme as such but as a group because one of my boys is ready to learn them. I don't do crafts with the kids, or plan activities around a theme, but we do plan around a specific goal or skill.
We are working on 'being a friend' skills with another boy, so we are having lots of turn taking, and shared resources activities etc.

Nicola Carlyle
12-09-2013, 09:57 AM
This month is books and stories for us and we are running with the Roald Dahl theme as its his birthday this Friday. I have borrowed his gruesome cook book from a friend and today we have made a chocolate cake from Matilda with my three x 2 year olds. We also plan on making snozecumbers from the BFG and peach juice from James and the giant peach. We are making BFG ears, and have printed off lots of colouring sheets and wordsearches for the older after school children. We are reading some of the stories and watching little snippets of some of the films on YouTube etc.

loocyloo
12-09-2013, 11:22 AM
We're vaguely looking at colours at the moment. Wow said the owl is a favourite book ( loving the story sac I made for it ) today the children wanted to make owls and we've done other colour bits that I will put on the wall. .. possibly on a tree that will turn into an autumn tree :-)

Also playing letter and sound games.
Last few weeks we've been into magnets.

singingcactus
12-09-2013, 01:20 PM
We're vaguely looking at colours at the moment. Wow said the owl is a favourite book ( loving the story sac I made for it ) today the children wanted to make owls and we've done other colour bits that I will put on the wall. .. possibly on a tree that will turn into an autumn tree :-)

Also playing letter and sound games.
Last few weeks we've been into magnets.

Loocyloo, you are going to have to bring your crew over during the half term holiday to thorp perrow. The other childminder and I are hoping to adopt one of the baby owls there for the year :) Rio is his name! There are loads of owls, your lot would love it.

VeggieSausage
12-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Ducks here...singing 5 little ducks, cutting out pics of ducks, feeding the ducks, reading books such The Duck In the Truck etc etc.....quack quack x

pillows
12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
This month we are doing All About Me too! :clapping:

loocyloo
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Loocyloo, you are going to have to bring your crew over during the half term holiday to thorp perrow. The other childminder and I are hoping to adopt one of the baby owls there for the year :) Rio is his name! There are loads of owls, your lot would love it.

Ok! ... We'll make a date :-)

Stapleton83
12-09-2013, 08:53 PM
We are doing all creatures great and small as all of my LOs love animals and this week we have been doing things around "Farm Animals" including making sheep cakes, animal paperbag puppets, animal masks, counting with animals and last week we had a trip to the farm to see them in the flesh. For the older ones we have done counting and identifying more unusual animals, colouring and word searches!

I know it is a massive topic and we won't cover anything like the activities I have planned or the animals, but it may be a spin off for a later date I think. The children are really enjoying it and I thought I could segway into Autumn later by talking about the animals that do different things in Autumn like migrate and hibernate for the older ones.

Still refining my planning and am currently giving my planning/obs and learning journals an overhaul. So any comments/suggestions would be most helpful. I am currently graded as good but really want to work towards being outstanding at my next inspection hence the reflective practice and review.

Sam x