PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour advice

MacyMac
11-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Hello all,

I am new to childminding and have only recently taken on my first client (a 19 month old boy).

I am posting here looking for some behaviour advice. My problem is that my son has not reacted well to my new career. Normally he is a sweet, happy and affectionate 2 and a half year old. He is quiet and shy around adults and children he does not know however, on the days that I am childminding he is like a completely different child.

He pushes, shouts at and is generally rough with the little boy I am looking after. He is never normally like this. In addition, he can be aggressive towards me. On the rare occasions he is nice towards the other boy I praise his behaviour and we talk about sharing, playing nicely and being kind and how we show this. He knows all of these things because he is like this at all other times. I am aware that he is jealous and may need time to adjust, however, has anyone any advice or experience in dealing with a situation like this as I want to make sure that both children feel safe and happy?

sarah707
12-09-2013, 06:44 AM
It can be very hard for our own children sharing their parent, toys and space with another child.

Consistency is the key, teaching your son that the child is his friend and that he will have more fun if he plays and joins in.

Is your playroom full of your son's toys? When mine were little I made sure they had their own things in their rooms so all the toys were mine to share.

It will take time but he'll get there. Hugs xx

kellyskidz!
12-09-2013, 09:37 AM
I started minding a year ago and thankfully my dd has got on with every mindee, except one
She said from the get go that she didn't like him, I couldn't understand why so just put it down to a phase. After he'd been here for second visit he started biting, scratching and spitting and became totally unmanageable after an hour, had to tell mum I couldn't take him and now trust my 5 year olds judgment over my own lol!
I think your sons probably testing you, and could be a little jealous too so make special time for him and you. After all its his home and these strange children are coming in and taking mummy's time, its going to be unsettling. With consistency and telling him off when he's naughty, praising when he's good he should be ok xxx

MacyMac
12-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your advice. I have felt like giving up already as I don't want two unhappy children, but maybe I'll plug on for a few weeks.