PDA

View Full Version : Over 5/under 5

maisiemog
11-09-2013, 06:48 PM
My DD has just turned 5 today but not in full time school. Is she now classed as an over 5 even though not full time schoolie or still a little one?

Mouse
11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Children are in the EYFS until 31st Aug following their 5th birthday, so she is in the EYFS until next year.

But for the purpose of ratios you can count 4 or 5 years olds as being older than EYFS if they are in full time education. So, your daughter will still count as being in your pre-school numbers until she is in full time school.

maisiemog
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Thought so but thought I would check. Only a week to go til she's full time....not that I'm counting or anything!

teacakepenguin
11-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Why isn't she classed as full time school, is it your choice that she's not attending the whole time, or is it the settling in period that the school use when they start in reception class? The way I see it, and I may well be wrong, is that if school are doing a settling in period where there are half days then they are going to school as much as they are able to so that should surely count as full time school?

tulip0803
11-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Why isn't she classed as full time school, is it your choice that she's not attending the whole time, or is it the settling in period that the school use when they start in reception class? The way I see it, and I may well be wrong, is that if school are doing a settling in period where there are half days then they are going to school as much as they are able to so that should surely count as full time school?

Full-time school is defined as 10 sessions a week - 5 morning and 5 afternoon. Any less than that is not considered full-time.

teacakepenguin
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I only comment as I've just had a newbie start with me who has just started school herself, and is on half days for 3 weeks. I haven't put her on the EYFS on the advice from the lady who did my LA course about childminding who is now looking after people until their ofsted graded inspection.