PDA

View Full Version : unpaid assistant while on maternity

linzi66
11-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Hi guys, Im wondering if I could get some advice. I'm a childminder and my mum is also a childminder we work in separate settings but work together alot so the children we look after and parents know both of us well. I am 32 weeks pregnant (due in Novermber) and am about to go on maternity. My mum has taken on my current children and is up to her numbers now. However she has just had a phone call for another child wanting to start meaning she would have 4 under 5 ( for around 2 hours a day) but when I come off maternity and take back my children in a few months time she would drop in to her numbers again.

Now the questions is could I work with my mum in her setting as a unpaid assistant for the times where she will be over her numbers, meaning her numbers would be increased as she has a assistant? I have all the checks already in place as I am a registered childminder. I would possibly be left with the children (with parents permission) for a max of 30 minutes for school runs.

I just feel awful as my mum is having to turn down children as she has mine, albeit she is getting paid for them yes, but when I come off maternity she will be handing them back over to me and then will have missed the opportunity to fill her spaces.

Any help is much appreciated thank you in advance :-)

FussyElmo
11-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi guys, Im wondering if I could get some advice. I'm a childminder and my mum is also a childminder we work in separate settings but work together alot so the children we look after and parents know both of us well. I am 32 weeks pregnant (due in Novermber) and am about to go on maternity. My mum has taken on my current children and is up to her numbers now. However she has just had a phone call for another child wanting to start meaning she would have 4 under 5 ( for around 2 hours a day) but when I come off maternity and take back my children in a few months time she would drop in to her numbers again.

Now the questions is could I work with my mum in her setting as a unpaid assistant for the times where she will be over her numbers, meaning her numbers would be increased as she has a assistant? I have all the checks already in place as I am a registered childminder. I would possibly be left with the children (with parents permission) for a max of 30 minutes for school runs.

I just feel awful as my mum is having to turn down children as she has mine, albeit she is getting paid for them yes, but when I come off maternity she will be handing them back over to me and then will have missed the opportunity to fill her spaces.

Any help is much appreciated thank you in advance :-)

Im not sure about the implications for claiming maternity allowance - as you are not supposed to be working. If investigated would they say you claimed in under false pretences but have carried on working :(

Also can you guarantee being there all the times your mum needs you. What if you end up having an caesarean?

This unfortunately is the problem of taking on a temporary mindee it does block spaces.