PDA

View Full Version : new play room/dinning room what can i claim for?

dusky777
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help.
Recently we remortgage our house so we could change the existing extension (small) which was being used as a dining room / messy room into the kitchen and the large kitchen is now a dining room /play room for the childminding children so I now have more space ie 2 living areas.
My husband wanted carpet but with the traffic in and out with the childminding children it would have got ruined so we ended up opting for a heavy duty laminate flooring which was very expensive can I claim any of this back?
Also I bought a second hand side board to store the toys in can I claim that and anything else anyone can this I can claim for paint, lighting, plaster electrician, plumber, tv etc? This was all purely done because im childminding.....we wouldn't have done it otherwise. I know it can get all complicated with owning your own house and selling on etc so any help would be appreciated

rickysmiths
11-09-2013, 01:02 PM
No you can't claim for the flooring because you would have to have flooring anyway. You can claim for the side board if you bought it only for childminding and anything you have bought for cm but not work done to the fabric of the building.

hectors house
11-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I was going to agree with Rickysmiths about the renovations and flooring and in your case I do agree that you can only claim for the storage but I wonder if you bought that carpet that has roads and cars all over for a playroom if you could claim for that? I did suggest it to my hubby for the lounge but I can't put his reply! My understanding is that you can only claim for things that aren't permanent - so electrics, plaster, wood flooring are all pretty permanent and will still be there if you gave up minding and wanted to turn the room back into living space for your family.

Simona
04-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I believe you can claim but an accountant would be more qualified to give you professional advice on that side of your cminding business.
the storage, if used for cminding only comes under equipment...again an accountant would steer you in the right direction but yes you can claim
if you have no accountant see if you can find more info on 'running a business from home'...what is allowed or not.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes to the sideboard if it is for business but unfortnately no to the flooring.

NinaBowen
05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
Wouldn't you be able to claim for a percentage of the flooring. So how much would it have cost if you got carpet as you initially wanted and put through the difference????

Simona
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Yes to the sideboard if it is for business but unfortnately no to the flooring.

Each claim is different and we must allow cms to explore what is allowable to them and why...each situation is different.
We are not 'certified accountants' to give such advice and could be giving the wrong advice...that is where people who are qualified come in.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Each claim is different and we must allow cms to explore what is allowable to them and why...each situation is different.
We are not 'certified accountants' to give such advice and could be giving the wrong advice...that is where people who are qualified come in.

Simona you are assuming again that I am not qualified.

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Wouldn't you be able to claim for a percentage of the flooring. So how much would it have cost if you got carpet as you initially wanted and put through the difference????

When I had my extension done I wanted stone flooring down but had to save for it, I didn't claim any of this as the HMRC told me it would all be disallowed and I would get penalties but what they did allow was 100% of the £50 I spent on carpet for the interim as it was for childminding purposes.

there is so much we can claim for legitimately without alerting the HMRC, why not use those little things that add up?

Simona
07-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Simona you are assuming again that I am not qualified.

I don't think that is what I am suggesting.