PDA

View Full Version : Grandson in ratio for "continuity of care"?

hectors house
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I currently look after my grandson one day a week and kept a space for him as soon as my daughter told us she was expecting. I don't have to look after him as his dad stays at home to care for him but I want to look after him and have him mixing with other children (as his dad doesn't take him to many toddler groups).

I had a parent today ask if I had any spaces on the day I look after Grandson (as work have asked her to do more hours) - well no I don't, but as the other child comes on different days and has been coming for nearly a year could I class it as "continuity of care"? I do a Learning Journal for my grandson and have permission forms and child record form but don't have a contract as I do it for free - he has a different surname to me so Ofsted wouldn't have to know he was my grandson. If necessary I will just tell this parent I don't have any spaces as I'm not prepared to let this special time with my grandson slip by - he is 6 1/2 months already!

mama2three
10-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Im a confused ( doesn't take much!)
Surely it doesn't matter whether one of your children is your grandson or not. If the child who wants extra hours can be accommodated safely and meeting the needs of all your children following a RA , you can have them through continuity of care - as long as you don't exceed the magic 6 under 8.

hectors house
10-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Im a confused ( doesn't take much!)
Surely it doesn't matter whether one of your children is your grandson or not. If the child who wants extra hours can be accommodated safely and meeting the needs of all your children following a RA , you can have them through continuity of care - as long as you don't exceed the magic 6 under 8.

That is what I am hoping surely it doesn't matter if he is my own child or grandson? - it's just that I don't have to have him, and am worried Ofsted would say I should have said he couldn't come if I take on more paid work. Surely it isn't any of their business if his parents pay me or not?

mama2three
10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
But your attendance sheets will show that he comes on ( for example ) Tuesdays each week , even if theres no contract. So if child A wants to add in Tuesdays you would need a self variation for them .

hectors house
10-09-2013, 04:59 PM
But your attendance sheets will show that he comes on ( for example ) Tuesdays each week , even if theres no contract. So if child A wants to add in Tuesdays you would need a self variation for them .

Yes I would do a self variation and get all parent's permission first, I do everything by the book as far as I am concerned he is a free of charge minded child, with all necessary paperwork (except contract) - don't let Mrsh3103 parents know I offer "FREE" childcare or they will all be round! (reference to a thread yesterday)

Mrsh3103
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Yes I would do a self variation and get all parent's permission first, I do everything by the book as far as I am concerned he is a free of charge minded child, with all necessary paperwork (except contract) - don't let Mrsh3103 parents know I offer "FREE" childcare or they will all be round! (reference to a thread yesterday)

Haha you'd be for it :)

blue bear
10-09-2013, 07:53 PM
I would do a contract regardless of nil fee to cover your grandson for insurance.
Ofsted have no interest in what you charge so will not be interested in the fact that you do not get paid to look after your grandson, he is a child in your care just like any other.