PDA

View Full Version : Reins for 2 year old

emily79
10-09-2013, 02:53 PM
We recently had a child leave us due to mums work commitments and finding a minder closer to home she was really upset to leave us but as she had another child at school she thought it may be easier in the mornings as we are 20 minutes away from home . She came round with cards and presents and then asked us about reins/backpacks we explained for piece of mind we always used them when we were any where near a road for all walking children, she said her new minder said to her (baring in mind they walk on an extremely busy road every day as its outside this ladys house!)that I don't do reins or wrist straps the child will hold her hand TO START WITH! The child is 2 and was a very late walker so not that stable on feet, aren't we here to keep children safe ? also if a parent asks you to use reins/ backpacks with straps on aren't you supposed to adhere to their wishes? She was told by said minder it would be discussed when she dropped him off she was even taking his own back pack so minder didn't even need to buy one! We were shocked.

hectors house
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I suppose if that childminder isn't pushing a buggy she will have two hands free to hold hands with little ones - I personally would still use reins but they aren't compulsory. The parent can request that the new minder uses reins or backpack version but that is up to her to discuss with her and agree to. I saw a toddler in town last week wriggle out of his mums hand grip and run into the road - luckily not a car coming at the time! :panic:

Angela234
10-09-2013, 04:46 PM
If i'm pushing a buggy I always put reins on my 2 year old even when they hold buggy I hold back of rein whilst holding buggy.
If i'm just going for a walk (quiet area) and just have 2 children I may not put reins on but carry them with me incase I need to put them one like if child's won't hold my hand.

lilac_dragon
10-09-2013, 05:06 PM
I always use reins for little ones - not just to stop them running off, but also to stop their faces from hitting the pavement if they trip up! I generally have little "bracelets" of bruises on my arms from where the straps hit as they go down. Ouch!

jackie 7
10-09-2013, 05:25 PM
I always used reins for anyone out if buggy. Just not worth the risk. I also get them to hold onto the buggy.

teacakepenguin
10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
I've never used reins on my own children as I can't stand them, but I have no idea if I'd use them with minded children - it would depend how many children I had with me really. So far my youngest is 4 and she happily holds hands. I have a grip of death when it comes to holding hands!

watgem
10-09-2013, 07:58 PM
In my situation as I don't drive and walk everywhere I use the little life backpacks, and put a fave toy or drink in it for them. Some of my parents are surprised by this but it means I can keep everyone safe, not have to grip tightly if they don't want to hold hands, or leave a baby in a buggy unattended while I chase a runner, I just feel that it is also fr my peace of mind as me and my family would have to live with the consequneces of a child running into the road for example, reins are just for a short while and for me are worth it to keep everyone safe

teacakepenguin
10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
I like those little backpacks :)

FizzWizz
10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm another fan of back packs, even the most reliable toddler can be distracted by a cat across the road etc and when pushing a buggy too I just wouldn't take the risk.

serin
10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I judge it on the amount of children I have and spare hands I have and their age and skills of walking. I have 2 x 2yr olds and a 12 month old so one of the 2 year olds has to walk from the car to the school everyday. It is the shortest journey in the world but because of the amount of children I have and to ensure their safety, I have 2 in the buggy and one on the rein with the rein attached to the buggy. It give you that peace of mind that they are safe from running away. If they were all going to be in the buggy most of the time I would not have purchased one.

charlottenash
10-09-2013, 09:39 PM
I've never used reins on my own children as I can't stand them, but I have no idea if I'd use them with minded children - it would depend how many children I had with me really. So far my youngest is 4 and she happily holds hands. I have a grip of death when it comes to holding hands!

Same as me! I could never ever put reins on my son, reminds me of a dog lead. I would not be comfortable putting them on a mindee either!

serin
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Same as me! I could never ever put reins on my son, reminds me of a dog lead. I would not be comfortable putting them on a mindee either!

I have the double buggy in use, 2 year old walking, as well as a 5 and 7 year old to watch so a rein is a must to prevent the one off distraction causing serious danger. However, when it is just me and my 2 year old then there is no need to have him on a doggy lead!

Jiorjiina
11-09-2013, 12:17 AM
I have a couple of the Goldbug harnesses (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=goldbug%20harness&sprefix=goldbug%2Caps%2C173&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Agoldbug%20harness), for use with toddlers.

I would never let them walk along the street without them because as well as traffic, some people manage to fail to notice the small person plodding alongside me and the wrist strap really seems to help with that. Also they love wearing them (to the point of wearing them around the house!) which makes it so much easier.

I am thinking of getting a walkodile (http://www.walkodile.com/) though, because toddlers vanishing in different directions while all connected to me it a little bit tricky!

Becci26
11-09-2013, 05:39 AM
Surely as a cm we should be working in partnership with parents? If a parent wants reins to be used the cm should respect their wishes and use them.

I had a very sensible almost 3 year old start with me last year and mum insisted I put her on the reins everywhere we went as she was so worried about anything happening to her, I didn't feel it was necessary but respected her wishes and did it anyway, I kept reviewing it every few weeks until eventually mum felt comfortable enough.

I'm not a fan of reins myself and prefer to encourage the children to hold my hand/ the buggy, but I would not think twice about using them if I had a runner, so far I have been lucky with my children and they have all been good at sticking with me. However we live in a relatively quiet village where the roads aren't very busy - great for getting them used to road safety.

nikki thomson
11-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I absolutely hate reins, personal choice and those wrist straps even worse they look like dogs on leads, in 22 yrs Of looking after children I have never used them and non if the children have ever even got hurt, however the need has never arisen where I have felt I have needed them but if I lived on a very busy road and I had a lo who was a lets just let go and run straight across a road type I would consider one and if a parent wanted me to use one I possibly would again if it was a very busy road but if I was doodling through a park lets say then no. X

Tazmin68
11-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I do use wrist strap and child holds onto buggy. I was told that should you hold a child's hand and hand is higher than their waist we are committing physical abuse
Debbie

charlottenash
11-09-2013, 06:54 AM
I do use wrist strap and child holds onto buggy. I was told that should you hold a child's hand and hand is higher than their waist we are committing physical abuse
Debbie

Physical abuse!!!!!! Whoever told you that needs their head checking, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ofsted.

jax clinch
11-09-2013, 07:02 AM
I have never used reins or harness and like to encourage the children to hold my hand or the pram. I've never had a child run off. We do live in a quiet village so whether it would be different in a busy town I don't know. My ofsted inspector yesterday liked the fact that the children have a bit of independence when walking and that as part of our daily walk home there is a stretch of road that the children let go and walk independently. (It is a very very quiet road, but it reinforces to the children that because they know how to behave next to a road they are allowed this bit of independence) She said lots of childminders are being advised to let the children experience a certain degree of risk taking. If a child is constantly on reins/harness are they being taught to walk safely next to a road or just hurried along?

Saying all that though if a parent had requested reins then I would use them but would also arrange a time for the parent to come on the walk with us so she could see how I do it and show her that it is safe!

Cinnamon Sugar
11-09-2013, 07:38 AM
If i'm pushing a buggy I always put reins on my 2 year old even when they hold buggy I hold back of rein whilst holding buggy.
If i'm just going for a walk (quiet area) and just have 2 children I may not put reins on but carry them with me incase I need to put them one like if child's won't hold my hand.

Yes I do this too, better to be safe than sorry xxx

smurfette
11-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Haven't used them up Til now on mindees, as only ever had one 1-2 year old at a time and a couple of 3 year olds, I train them to hold the strap on side of buggy (phil and teds..it has a toddler strap and I have added a wrist strap on the other side) I teach them to walk holding my hand or buggy strap then when they are more
Trustworthy I play 'stop go' with them everytime
We are out.they run a bit ahead and I shout stop and then go , they love it, it means they aren't too far ahead and they are listening to me ,, I have found in a situation where they really have to stop suddenly they always obey then. However I now have a glut of 1 plus year olds so I am thinking back pack / reins!

Tealady
11-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Debbie

Good grief!!!!! Who on earth came up with that one? I've even seen a recent CBeebies program explaining to children the importance of holding their grown-ups hand!

ziggy
11-09-2013, 12:19 PM
I have two 3yr olds who are very good at walking and holding on to the buggy. But last week I was bit concerned at speed cars and lorries were passing us as we walked to park. Think i am going to use wrist straps again just to be on the safe side. You never know when a young child may just run out or even step into the road (where path is narrow)

My daughter is 23 (same age James Bulger would have been). I had her on reins in town few months after he was murdered and a friend made a comment about fact she wouldnt put her child on a 'dog lead'. My reply to this was that I'm sure Mrs Bulger wishes she had used reins/wrist strap that day, her child wouldnt have been taken away and would be alive today.

watgem
11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Tazmin I heard that as well, think it might have been from an NCMA meeting years ago and we were told tight hand holding was very bad practice, I've just always used reins while necessary depending on the individual child as I have a mile long walk to school along very busy roads

Lilylulu
11-09-2013, 01:27 PM
We bought several ladybird backpacks very cheaply from amazon, just big enough for a drink or small toy/snack. We don't do a school run or many walks near busy roads on a regular basis but its a good idea to do some 'road training' walks now and again - we use the backpacks for little picnics - and they are loved by all our little ones - even have some 4/5 year olds wanting to squeeze into them - haha -I think they were about £2.50 each - bargain and they look very nice - no need to have 'reins' as such - i agree they don't look nice - Home bargains had some nice backpacks with the straps on last week when I was in there - they were lunch bag rucksacks - suitable for infants/lower juniors at school even and only a couple of quid too. I did contemplate getting myself one to use as an owl lunchbox - haha :)

jackie 7
11-09-2013, 02:17 PM
A boy who I nannied for went to Glastonbury with parents. They were worried about loosing him. He was 9. Reins not a possibility. I suggested his climbing rope. Boy not impressed with me. Parents thought it was a good idea. Boy said he had been in crowds before so not a problem. He got there and asked for rope around his waist. He felt so safe also dad said great for pulling him out of mud.

freckleonear
11-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I dislike reins and haven't used them so far. 1-2 year olds hold my hand when they are walking, and 3-4 year olds walk independently but hold a hand or the pushchair to cross roads or beside a busy road. However, I now have 2x 1 year olds and may have to consider using reins.

I saw three nursery staff in town this afternoon with nine children, four in Phil&Teds buggies and five on reins. They were beautifully behaved but I did feel a little sorry for them, it didn't look like they were having much fun.

Tazmin68
12-09-2013, 05:55 AM
Yes it was ofsted. The school that I go to is only a footpath away from a very busy A road and 2 years ago a child ran out of school gates hit by a car and was in a wheelchair for a few months. I would not take the risk.

Sweetpea
12-09-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm so glad it's not just me that insists on reins. My son is 3yo and a 'runner' so he wears them too!

Supernanny86
12-09-2013, 07:43 AM
I use reins where it dangerous. I'm all for free spirits but safety first. I'm sure parents would prefer this way too :)