PDA

View Full Version : The Tiger Who Came to Tea... A few questions...

EmmaReed84
10-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Mum dropped off 3yr old mindee today and said that last night she read The Tiger Who Came to Tea and mindee pretty much recited it word for word. Mum has only read the book a few times and asked if I had read it to her, which I hadn't - I don't have that book, but I have just ordered it from the Library - I spoke with the playschool and they said they did have it, and have read it, but again, not much.

I know I haven't "observed" this myself, but can I write it down as an observation from the parent to show working with the parents and move this forward? The playschool said they would get the book out tomorrow for mindee and explore it further as well. So would that also be classed as working in partnership with other settings?

Another thing I am worried about is over doing something with mindee. I was thinking of getting some ideas of what I could do and sharing this is the playschool, so they could perhaps look at what they can do to compliment my activities, just so mindee doesn't get it from all angles.

hectors house
10-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Maybe play tea parties, write invitations, talk about manners, going shopping, making shopping lists, painting - making tiger masks, talk about camouflage - doesn't really matter if you go off on a tangent.

I had a 3 year old who could recite the Gruffalo without the book or pictures to prompt him.

kellyskidz!
10-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes I often write obs as 'observed at home' it's like you say a great way of working together with parents and gets them involved when they see their own observation in their child's LJ
Also working with playgroup is a great idea too, even something as simple as asking them what she's been particularly interested in that week so you can carry it on at home. With my schoolies I ask what topics they're covering for the term and what x is working towards then compare notes with teachers. I also ask parents and teachers often if there's anything they'd like me to help with, like spelling or writing their own name etc, it can only be a good thing xxx

k1rstie
10-09-2013, 12:09 PM
I love the pictures in this book. They are so old fashioned compared to now but was written in 1968!! I get blank looks from my kids when I point out that there is so little food in the cupboards, and only a kettle, no gadgets !

Makes me chuckle!

EmmaReed84
10-09-2013, 12:19 PM
The Tiger Who Came to Tea - Teaching Ideas and Resources (http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/library/books/thetigerwhocametotea.htm)

Ohhh, I just found that... I can't wait! I might have to ask Mum if I can borrow her book until the library one comes in... I am so excited, this will also tie in nicely to my foody things I wanted to do with her as well... I love it when activities just flow.

KatieFS
10-09-2013, 10:37 PM
I love the bit that says 'and the tiger drank all dads beer..'

Jiorjiina
11-09-2013, 12:09 AM
I love the bit that says 'and the tiger drank all dads beer..'

Because Mummy was sensible and hid the gin better! ;)

smartbear
11-09-2013, 01:49 AM
It's the Dad's long-suffering face when Mum explains about the tiger. He's clearly aware that she spent the afternoon drinking gin & not shopping/cooking.

"No tea. No food. Ummmm...a tiger ate it!"

KatieFS
11-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Ha ha very funny