PDA

View Full Version : how many days/weeks holidays do u take?

ziggy
10-09-2013, 11:04 AM
With an unexpected house move and my daughter's graduation I am taking more holiday than normal this year.

I had 2 days in March, 3 days in May, annual 2 weeks holiday in July.

As mentioned I now need a week in October for house move then another in November to go to England for graduation

I also take 2 weeks for Christmas (none of my families need me at this time)

I dont charge for my holidays but felt a bit guilty when i gave confirmed dates out today. it will add up to 35days holiday plus bank holidays.

One mummy is on maternity leave till January and other families have own families to help out so dont know why i feel this way:blush:

AgentTink
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
i suppose there is no real right or worng answer. As long as you give all your parents the correct amount of notice as per your contract then you can take any amount of holiday you want/need. In this business though parents do rely on us being avaiable a certain amount of time, so it would be up to each family to decide if they are able to cover a childminders holiday.

This year i will have had off

April - 10 days
July - 2 days
August - 2 days
October - 2 days
Christmas shut down from the 21st until the 2nd - 5 days

So in total - 21 days and then the 8 bank holidays too. I dont think this unreasonable since i gave all these dates out last December.

My issue will be next year when we are hoping for 3 weeks away in Florida, and i would also to still have a couple of days most school holidays, as well as the christmas shut down. All i can do is give plenty of notice and hope my parents have cover, and if not then unfortunatley there is the risk I may loose some, however i have always made it clear to my parents that if they need 52 weeks a year cover for their child, then i am not the right choice for them, as i will have holidays and i may time off if my own child was sick.

rickysmiths
10-09-2013, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't feel guilty. It goes like that sometimes. You will only have had 5 weeks holiday and I take that every year. If parents don't need you over Christmas then that is their holiday.

We had a big extension built 3 summers ago and I had an extra week off to move back in. I gave my parents 2 months notice and they were fine about it.

Glitter
10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
This year I am having 3 weeks off, one in August and two over Christmas.

Next year I will be having 4 or 5 weeks as I have realised I work hard and deserve more of a break.

I don't feel guilty about needing holidays as no one can work everyday. I find after a week off I come back with more enthusiam and new ideas, so it benefits my mindees as well!

kellib
10-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I never feel guilty, I work hard so I more than deserve my time off!

So far I've had 1week in february, 2 weeks in may, 2 days in June when I went to see Robbie Williams and I'm having 2 weeks in October plus 2 weeks at Xmas.

I only work term time too but I am around in some of the holidays if parents need the odd day here and there.

loocyloo
10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
I take 4 weeks a year - one over Christmas & new year, one in april and 2 in the summer, then assorted other days as required for training/my childrens events & activities/ and sometimes I just need a day to do things such as Christmas shopping! plus bank holidays. I give as much notice as possible. I have currently all my parents on standby as DH needs to have an operation and we're waiting for a date, but it might be short notice and I will have to take the day off. they are all understanding.

VeggieSausage
10-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I have about 4 and a half weeks, plus bank holidays and I close in between christmas and new year....

adele1985
10-09-2013, 12:57 PM
My partner is self employed too so we don't take that many holidays we we can't really afford to

This year I've taken

4 days in July ( 2 long weekends)
I'll be taking 2 days in November (im off to see the Harry potter studios in London with my mam and sister :D)
And normally 10 to 14 days between Christmas and new year

AliceK
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
By the end of this year I will have taken 27 days. The majority of those were advised of in January for the year but some were booked later in the year. A few of them are for my DD's hosp appts in Cambridge which involve an overnight stay for us and we only get about 6 weeks notice of them. Sometimes these things can't be helped. On the positive side I don't take sick days so if I'm off then it's a day / days that parents have had plenty of notice for.
xxxx

Pixie dust
10-09-2013, 01:02 PM
I haven't taken as much as normal this year..2 days in May. a week in August and I am having 1 day at the beginning of Dec and not even sure what I am doing over the Christmas/new year as Dh will be away at work and my two will be at their dad's from 27th so will probably work if needed. I have had a few days here and there when I wasn't needed so they were days of but not through my choice.

scottishlass
10-09-2013, 01:15 PM
This year have had 1 week in April, 2 weeks over July/aug and have booked 2 weeks at Xmas. Plan to do the same next year too xx

vickylou
10-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I took one week in May one week in August and am taking 4 days in October over 2 weekends! And one set of parents is not best pleased!! Was originally having 3 days but now need to add an extra day!! Am absolutely dreading telling them, not sure if I can get cover for them! The reason they not happy! Well they are away for the week in between the 2 weekends I'm taking off! Leaving the 2 mindees at home with granny & grandad! The extra day I need is the Monday they will be back in work! They probably have no holidays left because this will be their 5th week this year!!!! So why do I feel so bad about having time off!!!!

watgem
10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
i take 5 weeks a year unpaid, always in the school holidays as I have my own children at school and can't take them out during termtime. I use to take 4 weeks but was going 8 months without a break so now include a week at Easter

lozzy23
10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
i take 5 weeks a year unpaid, always in the school holidays as I have my own children at school and can't take them out during termtime. I use to take 4 weeks but was going 8 months without a break so now include a week at Easter

I do exactly the same and for the same reason. I have taken the same 5 weeks off for 5 years, so all parents know (or should!). 1 week - Feb half term, 1 week - May half term, 2 weeks August and 1 week - October half term. I will also take Friday 27th December off as a bonus!!!!:D

Cinnamon Sugar
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
I have about 4 and a half weeks, plus bank holidays and I close in between christmas and new year....

I'm exactly the same as this.

I think it's fine for you to be off, you have given them plenty of notice and they have family that can help out. I know what you mean though, I always feel guilty if I take extra holiday. :-)
I'll be doing this next year as my daughter will be graduating too.

doris127
10-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I take 7 weeks unpaid - a week in April and October, 2 weeks at Christmas and 3 weeks in summer plus occasional bank holidays and necessary days - took a day off last week for hospital appt. They are all told this on the first visit. Only ever had one question it.

emily79
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
my co minder and I had 1 day off in june and have another one in November for a wedding we haven't had a holiday this year as we were really quiet at beginning of the year and a lot of our parents are medical professionals hospitals don't shut down at Christmas and these children do 12 hour days. we cant afford to miss out on the money!