PDA

View Full Version : unwrapping

yummyripples
10-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I have a child who does things like pick the paper off the crayons, pull pictures off the wall picking the blue tac off, pulls stickers off things and when we are glueing she glues on but always picks off.
I realise that this is schema but what sort of schema is it, how do I move forward and do I teach her not to do it to the named things? Mum thinks it's destructive and is worried about her wallpaper x

loocyloo
10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
can you introduce her to Velcro?

maybe make some Velcro pictures that she can create/pull apart? ( pictures with sticky Velcro on back, to stick on to a piece of card with Velcro on ) or maybe onto a felt board ( or how aabout fuzzy felt )

I found some Velcro cable ties in the pound shop the other week. ( strips of Velcro with both bits on so you can wrap them round television cables etc to keep them neat and safe. ) we use ours for all sorts, but one little boy does enjoy sticking them all together and taking them apart.

not sure what sort of schema it is!

good luck x

Goatgirl
10-09-2013, 12:27 PM
I had a 'picker' last year.
Her Mum, at initial visit said her favourite thing to do and said if I ever needed lo to be distracted, calm down, sit quietly etc, to give her an onion to peel :D.

I did tell lo not to pick some things e.g. pulling apart layers of paper on book covers an board books etc, but usually the only thing that would stop her for more than a few minutes was distraction. SHe could barely resist!

I made sure she had frequent gluey activities as she would easily be distracted to picking the dried pva glue off her hands ;). There are probably lots of other peeling activities, just can't think of any at mo..... SHe also liked picking stickers off of things (achievement charts if she could reach them :rolleyes:) and while other children sat to thread things onto laces or ribbons, she'd happily 'unthread'. I'm sure she was learning as much as the others, just not in a way that had so much of an 'end product'. It was all about the process for her.

I also have had several who liked to pick 'stuck' things off of the picture/creation they'd made. I changed some craft activities from pritt stick to pva glue so that I had a reason to put said creation away to dry, so that at least parent could see some things - before lo's pulled stuff off on the way home in the car :laughing:, or took photos 'in progress' to show parent what we had done. :laughing:.

Don't know the schema.... sounds like the opposite of enveloping/enclosing, but maybe is a part of that?

Good luck with it anyway. I would tell her not to do things that cause harm/hurt feelings but provide ample opportunities for her to 'undo' her own creations :thumbsup: and explain to Mum that she is learning through what she is doing, but learning what she mustn't peel is important too :)

Good luck :)

yummyripples
10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
[/QUOTE]

No me neither. I thought someone may advise.

lilac_dragon
10-09-2013, 05:20 PM

No me neither. I thought someone may advise.[/QUOTE]

Who says WE can't invent a Schema?
Are they set in stone?
An "Unpeeling" schema sounds good to me - I have one who does the same thing.
Or "Detaching"
Or "Unenveloping"
Or........ what else?

jackie 7
10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
Is there a schema called. Driving the minder crazy? Should be after my day.

sing-low
10-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Opening? Stripping?!?!?!

yummyripples
10-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Thank you. I like the unpeeling one. Going to have her peeling tangerines and separating the segments. Can do something mathematical with that too. May make an orange cheesecake and decorate the top with the segments.
Peeling mushrooms for pizzas.
Shame it's not pea season anymore.
Leeks. I feel a leek and potato soup coming on.
What else can I peel?
Ooh mind is working overtime now.
Yay a new schema!
Feel free to add ideas x

charlottenash
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Peeling mushrooms? Am I missing something here because I don't peel mushrooms lol?!?

yummyripples
10-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Peeling mushrooms? Am I missing something here because I don't peel mushrooms lol?!?

It's good fun but not essential x

hectors house
10-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I have a child who does things like pick the paper off the crayons, pull pictures off the wall picking the blue tac off, pulls stickers off things and when we are glueing she glues on but always picks off.
I realise that this is schema but what sort of schema is it, how do I move forward and do I teach her not to do it to the named things? Mum thinks it's destructive and is worried about her wallpaper x

Have been sellotaping back on labels from play food tins and packs today - as the little picker decided to unwrap a few! My little picker often has a pocket full of blue tac that he has aquired.

yummyripples
10-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Something else I have just realised. This same child can entertain herself for ages with a couple of rolls of wallpaper borders. Unrolling, rolling, wrapping it round herself. She also loved last Halloween when we wrapped each other and our dolls in toilet rolls. Wonder if it's connected. She is also obsessed with plasters at the moment. It's all leading somewhere. I just don't know where.........

tulip0803
10-09-2013, 08:51 PM

It gives me the same happy feeling as peeling dried PVA glue:D. Unles I am in a hurry and they just get a quick bath:rolleyes: