PDA

View Full Version : Changing my LJ format...

Minstrel
10-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm in the middle of changing the way I do them. I have three new eyfs children this September so they are straightforward, however one little boy has been with me for 18 months and I'm wondering what to do.

Would you transfer it all over to the new forms and reprint photos?

Would you just stick the old pages into the new file?

Would you send the old one home and start afresh? (Bit difficult as the new one is formatted to start on child's first day, all about me and follows into progress)

Any help appreciated!

AgentTink
10-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I would be keeping all the old forms and just putting them either in the front of new folder, or if this wasnt possible, would keep old folders in old folder and in new system just do a first page with a quick overview of childs development to date, ie which age bracket they best fit into from DM.

The way to view it is if Ofsted came out in a few weeks time they would expect for this mindee, for you to be able to show their progression, and this would be more difficult if old paperwork was no longer at your setting

VeggieSausage
10-09-2013, 01:17 PM
I change mine all the time!! keep in the same folder - oldest at the back, current ones at the front, put a file divider in to indicate the old EYFS pre-sept 12 .....

Simona
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
A LJ should be what it says...a journey from start (babyhood) to whenever they leave for school
Like everyone else I start from babies and record their progress, put photos and all summaries
When the children get to 2 ...I use the same LJ but follow the 'Progress check at 2' guidelines and concentrate on the 3 Prime areas
when a child is 3 I continue by adding the other 4 Specific areas of learning so all 7 areas are covered
Once they go to school I add pictures of what we do after school and during holidays....when they leave I hand the whole LJ for them to keep

that way it is a journey...everyone does it differently but it feels to me many are doing far too much and breaking the journey by swopping to different formats
Make sure you get parents' feedback all the time!!

hectors house
10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Agree with others just put the old format in the back of the folder/file with a divider and start with new format - I also work from back of folder to the front, so current stuff is always on the top page. Don't re-do anything - silly to make more work for yourself.

Minstrel
10-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Thank you all

That's almost exactly what I'm doing. The old LJ is more scrapbook in style and the LO has just turned 2 so I am about to do his 2yr check and formalise it all a bit more.

I've decided to tear the pages (neatly cut with scissors actually!) and hole punch them into the new file. I do mine in the opposite direction though so it reads like a book in chronological order old -> new.

Thanks again x

sarah707
10-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Mine goes starting points to leaving card as well! :D

KAZBAZ55
10-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Old to new just adding any new formats as I go. Its nice aswell that ofsted can then see how you are continuously improving the way you do your LJ. x