PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

gremlin
10-09-2013, 09:17 AM
I've taken on a child and I should have followed my gut feeling and not bothered.

The child comes to me late everyday in their pjs and dirty nappy and no breakfast. child arrives after breakfast time but I am still expected to give them breakfast. Then screams all day. The child is obviously tired as goes to bed after 10 every night. Don't know what to do. The parents are bad payers and take complete advantage making excuses about when they'll drop money off.

We are into the 3rd week of a new contract but can't see this getting any better.

What should I do? Advise would be great as feeling fed up.

X

tess1981
10-09-2013, 09:26 AM
do you have a settling in period where either side can end the contract without notice

Goatgirl
10-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi :),

Did you discuss expectations about breakfast etc before lo started? If not, it could just be that parents are used to different expectations/standards and need these to be explicitly stated. Obviously the money issue is very important to nip in the bud.

I would either:

1) Be in settling in period so within my rights to terminate immediately...

2) call parents and say you need to speak with them today about expectations and payment issues, then discuss issues and list what you need them to do. If not immediately improved all payments fully up to date and paid on time in future, immediate end to contract. (If you don't have settling in period with immediate notice clause, create one and terminate if no improvement.)

good luck :thumbsup:

merry
10-09-2013, 12:23 PM
If you do a settling in period I'd give notice, if they're bad payers already I doubt it's going to get any better. If you don't have a settling in period then give however many weeks notice you have to and count the days! You could cite personal reasons or inability to meet the needs of their child - they need breakfast at a time you don't serve it, child needs dressing and you don't have time etc. If you want to give them another chance, call them in for a meeting and set out your terms, what you will and won't accept and see if they sort themselves out. It's early days re the screaming if they've only been with you 3 weeks, that should settle in time.

Tazmin68
10-09-2013, 01:19 PM
I would be tempted to end contract. I use pacey contracts and found out to my cost through the legal line that once full contract kicks in you cannot end contract due to payment issues without having to give 4 weeks notice and if you had to do that due to payment issues you have to keep place open for the 4 weeks despite not being paid.

gremlin
12-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm think I'm going to end it. I am following my gut feeling :) thanks for your advise. Xx