PDA

View Full Version : Scared unhappy cat!

jadavi
10-09-2013, 06:23 AM
Can any car lovers help me?

Our cat (never friendly but usually feisty) had turned into a nervous wreck.
Since the advert of our bouncy yappy puppy he lives upstairs now but has opportunity to go out if he wants to. We've had the dig a year so its bit a new thing. He's been used to the noisy kids for 2.5 years too so also not new.
He jumps and is startled by the smallest thing now - ie jumps in the air abs half way across the room. He's also started peeling in naughty places - in the bath, the shower and on linoed floors.

jadavi
10-09-2013, 06:25 AM
Sorry that sent too soon.

Does anyone have any ideas or remedies?
Don't wanna terrify him further by packing him into his basket and off to the vet. Should I maybe just ring the vet?
Any suggestions? Don't like seeing our moggy so unhappy :(

loocyloo
10-09-2013, 06:31 AM
sorry no ideas, but it sounds like something has frightened him.

I know you can get plug in things that calm pets down ... I see them advertised around bonfire night. I think a friend had used rescue remedy for her cat for something.

otherwise, maybe ring the vet and ask their advice.

take care x

VeggieSausage
10-09-2013, 06:37 AM
sounds like it can't cope with the dog doesn't it.....ask the vet I say....no other advice sorry, poor moggy!

Tazmin68
10-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Sounds like it could be the new addition is causing upset. You could try the plug in to see if that helps. My female cat used to hide when we had our dog. She eventually took herself off and moved in with a quieter neighbour as they say you never own a cat they own you. A friend of ours their cat moved away as their son got older and noisier he moved round the corner.

singingcactus
10-09-2013, 07:02 AM
If he is peeing indoors suddenly, he may well have cystitis. My cat got that and went from a completely chilled adorable animal to a cat scared of his own shadow and peeing in the house. I got him to the vets and on antibiotics, but because I didn't figure it out quickly enough we ended up losing him. You would need to get him to the vet to check, but till then offer extra bowls of water, and wet cat food instead of biscuits (just in case).
If it is the dog, he'll have to work it out himself I guess. Only time will help that.

kellyskidz!
10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
Those plug in things are genius, worked wonders for my friends cat who also got suddenly spooked for no apparent reason. Hope cats feeling better soon xxx

Daisy De
10-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Definitely sounds like stress, so a vet call/visit and/or the plug in things may well help.

I would have said it was the arrival of your new puppy, never easy to introduce an adult cat to another cat let alone a dog but you say you have had the dog for a year. Has the cat been acting like this for a year or is it a new thing? Might be another cat in the neighbourhood terrorising yours which is very common as well or as someone said an underlying illness.

You have to do something so a vet call/visit is probably the way forward to eliminate any medical reason.
Call first and explain, see what the vet advises but they will probably suggest a visit anyway rather than a phone diagnosis.

Hope you can get to the bottom of the problem, good luck, let us know how you get on.

SYLVIA
10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I spent saturday watching a programme called my cat from hell. It was fascinating. I never new cats could be so stressed out. If it's weeing in unusual places, it is because it is trying to make a place it's own, as if it feels it isn't allowed anywhere else, probably because of the dog. We have two cats, and the smaller one sometimes poos on my bed when the other one is going through a dominant phase or a cat is stalking her outside. The programme suggested, lots of playing with the cat, puttins up shelves or high scratch posts so the cat can be higher than the dog and showing it affection gently until the cat's confidence returns. After seeing what some of those cat's did, I realise how good ours are. Maybe worth a chat to the vets too though

JCrakers
10-09-2013, 11:23 AM
It sounds like his behaviour has changed since the dog arrived?

My cat used to be calm and loving until we introduced a kitten. Her behaviour changed and now she is very jumpy and hates to be stroked, touched. Although the kitten was small when he came and very nice to her, she hasnt coped well. She now just comes and goes for food and sleeps on the bed and doesn't really like to be fussed.

Not really sure what to suggest really except a trip to the vets to ask for advice

jadavi
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks

I know the vet receptionist will say we can't give advice bring him in and the basket and trip will stress him.
Maybe I'll try the plug in thing first.

Cheers everyone xx