View Full Version : Non domestic premise

09-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone
I currently am a manager of a pre-school but wanting a change and I'm looking into childminding! I was wanting to buy a separate house to run a childminding buisness from so i didnt have to make changes to my home! therefore would not be living on the premise that the childminding would be run from? I was just wondering if this has been done before or would ofsted class it as a nursery therefore have to employ staff etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

09-09-2013, 06:19 PM
A childminder is someone who works from their own home so no you wouldn't be a childminder!

09-09-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't really see what the difference is for you anyway if you run a pre school or a home style childcare its going to be very much the same with less children!

09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
As mentioned, it wouldn't be classed as childminding. Additionally, you'd be buying a house to use as business premises, so you'd probably have to buy it outright for cash as you'd not likely get a mortgage, and you'd then be faced with the need to get planning permission.

Bit of a non-starter I suspect. :(

09-09-2013, 08:05 PM
What you are proposing is different from childminding - as it is no longer a home but a business you may have to apply for change of use or a "lawful use certificate" from your local council (both cost money). You will also probably be charged business rates not council tax and have to pay extra to have your rubbish collected and hazardous waste collection for nappies (this varies across different LAs). Business rates on utilities and telephone lines.

You don't need to make a lot of changes to your house to be able to childmind. It needs to be safe, in good repair and have toys and activities. Access to outside ,be it a garden, shared area or local park. You need smoke alarms, a fire blanket and general safety stuff.
That's about it