PDA

View Full Version : Climbing out of cot

welshgirl
09-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Mindee nearly 2 climbed out of the travel cot today, parents forgot to tell me this was a new skill he developed! Now I'm really unsure how to let him nap, other mindee doesn't sleep in the afternoon so can't put it up in main room, I don't have a play room. I feel it is unsafe for him to be in the cot upstairs when he might climb out bump his head and I wouldn't know. I don't want to put a mat down for him as I know he won't stay on it and don't want him wandering around the bedroom when I can't see what he is up to! Any one been in a similar situation or have any suggestions?

shortstuff
09-09-2013, 04:29 PM
i have my 2's on the sofa downstairs where i can see them? they try to get off initially but with reminders and prompting it just becomes their usual routine x

sarah707
09-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Ours mostly sleep in buggies so they are portable for the school run :D

jadavi
09-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Yup happened to me (or jus about to) do I have put a travel vit in another room for him - much deeper cot and not so far to tumble if manages to climb out.

jadavi
09-09-2013, 04:37 PM
That should read travel cot xx

AliceK
09-09-2013, 04:53 PM
I have 1 of my LO's who won't sleep properly in the buggy and needs to be in the cot for a decent sleep but when he managed to climb out I spoke to mum and he now wears a gro bag to go down in, he can't unzip it and so far cannot manage to climb out with it on.

xxxxx

welshgirl
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Ours mostly sleep in buggies so they are portable for the school run :D

I can't get a cot through my door, it's an old type cottage, steps, narrow, a real pain! What I would give for a big hallway and playroom!

welshgirl
09-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Yup happened to me (or jus about to) do I have put a travel vit in another room for him - much deeper cot and not so far to tumble if manages to climb out.

Jadavi, do you mind me asking what cot it is you use?

welshgirl
09-09-2013, 06:51 PM
i have my 2's on the sofa downstairs where i can see them? they try to get off initially but with reminders and prompting it just becomes their usual routine x

Gail, I'm going to try this tomorrow, try and do extra quiet time, put all toys away. I'm not sure it will work, mindee is very strong willed, and I will have to try and keep other mindee busy with quiet activities!! Fingers crossed.

welshgirl
09-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Forgot to say, he manages to climb out with a sleeping bag still on! Manages to make it down stairs in it at home as they don't have a stair gate!

hectors house
09-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Had this with a new 2 year old mindee once, he was out of cot and following me downstairs before realised - moved the cot as he was climbing out onto my bed, but that made no difference - in the end had to strap him into buggy to sleep and he accepted that just fine.

shortstuff
09-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Gail, I'm going to try this tomorrow, try and do extra quiet time, put all toys away. I'm not sure it will work, mindee is very strong willed, and I will have to try and keep other mindee busy with quiet activities!! Fingers crossed.

If it helps I get identicle twins asleep either end of my sofa x mum still puts them in a cot with dummies but they never have dummies here either x
With consistency and patience its amazing what can be done x

clareelizabeth1
09-09-2013, 07:27 PM
I've had an 18 month old climb out of a cot while wearing a grobag. I was quite impressed and after that he slept on a mat on the floor. My new travel cot has sloped sides but yet to be tested by a climber.

Maza
09-09-2013, 07:34 PM
DD used to climb out in her gro bag too. She would then waddle across the bedroom and she looked like a penguin. It was hilarious! Sorry, no other advice! Good luck. x