PDA

View Full Version : No Early Years - Want to Quit! :-(

cbshoat
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
I have been registered since April but am really struggling to get any early years children through the door. I currently have a 5, 8 and 10 year old that I care for and I am not enjoying it too much at the moment as they can be such hard work.
I have tried everything, childcare.co.uk, window advertisments, posters, business cards, website, social network sites, word of mouth including other childminders in my area but nothing seems to be generating any interest.
I'm really fed up and just want to quit!!!!!

AdeleMarie88
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
How about going to baby yoga and meeting new moms, it will mean you will have to wait a few months but you could get some names and contacts at least? Find a local children's centre with baby classes on and just introduce yourself to parents!

Kiddleywinks
09-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Sending sympathy and hugs

It is hard to get going. Took me the best part of 7 months from registering to get 1 child! The next 2 came along a couple of months later (all part timers or after school) and the next three, 4 months after that, taking a full year in total.

Getting 3 afterschoolers so quickly is good, try to promote yourself at the school - sign written/magnetic signs on your car if you have one, fleece with childminder and your tel number on the back is a good way to get known quickly too.

Don't lose heart, you'll get there! :thumbsup:

cbshoat
09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I might look a bit strange at baby yoga with no baby though!

I know you're all talking sense its just hard to keep positive. I've even been looking and applying for other jobs now because I'm that fed up!

Oh well i'm sure something will come along one way or the other eventually.

Thanks for the support :-)

Mrs Pootle
09-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Do you have a local playgroup / mums & tots group? I volunteered at my local playgroup whilst I was completing my training and told everyone I was going to be a childminder. It generated a bit of work, and once registered I continued to go with mindees which meant I generated more enquiries.

Playgroups are always looking for people to help out, and if you are there without any children of your own to look after it will give you chance to speak to the mums who are there. Although some will be stay-at-home-mums, there will be some on maternity leave or who work part-time and need childcare.

Good luck, and don't give up yet. :)

perkins90
09-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Is there any large employers in your area that you could target or maybe the local hospital. Speak with the HR department and ask if you can drop off some cards flyers etc.

Like others have said don't give up.

Carolc
09-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I feel your pain. I had a baby fulltime right up until Friday. And now his mum's hours have been cut to 12 hrs a week i am really finding it hard, its only been one day but have known for week that this was going to happen.
I only have one other child on a Tue so from this week i will be earning £100 a week not even enough to cover all my bills. Feeling i might need to be applying for jobs Xxx

weedotes
09-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I have been registered since April but am really struggling to get any early years children through the door. I currently have a 5, 8 and 10 year old that I care for and I am not enjoying it too much at the moment as they can be such hard work.
I have tried everything, childcare.co.uk, window advertisments, posters, business cards, website, social network sites, word of mouth including other childminders in my area but nothing seems to be generating any interest.
I'm really fed up and just want to quit!!!!!

Have you mentioned to the parents of your current children that you need more custom to continue your business?They may be able to recommend someone or have contacts via their work places .

dette
09-09-2013, 06:10 PM
how about contact your local college/sixth form center.i have a full time baby paid for by care to learn.some colleges think only nurseries are able to take payments so they recommend these to their young student parents where as a childminder is definitely the best place for a very young baby,these parents quite often have to rush straight back to college so they don't fall behind,i got my mindee at 9 weeks and love every minute of it

christine84
09-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Hang in there. I got registered in jan, had first mindee in april and then 2 at once in july. So I'm full for under 5. Hang in there.