PDA

View Full Version : would you let 4yr old make his own packed lunch?

ziggy
09-09-2013, 08:21 AM
As mentioned on here last week, my 4yr old mindee makes his own packed lunch before he comes here in the mornings.

This morning his 3yr old brother had toilet accident so needed changing 5mins before we headed out for school bus.

Then as we walked to bus i noticed water dripping out of 4yr olds school bag. He hadnt put top on water bottle and drink had leaked all over his bag onto reading books, pencil case etc. His school jumper was also very wet. I dried it as well as I could in middle of the street.

Will make sure in future I check bag when he arrives each morning

BUT just wondered how many other 4yr olds make their own lunch.

Also his 3yr old brother wipes his own bottom after a poo, I have explained I need to check he has done it correctly as some times he doesnt. Am i being unreasonable?

QualityCare
09-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Not sure about allowing 4yr old to make his own lunch unsupervised, help yes, but its up to his parents, l would tell them about the water and suggest to them that they check lids are on before they leave home. Its good that 3yr old cleans himself, independence personal hygiene etc, and l wouldn't interfere as parents must be aware that he doesn't always do it sufficiently if you do notice staining l would just explain to him that last time he went he didn't wipe enough.

JCrakers
09-09-2013, 09:17 AM
My 14yr old doesn't make his lunch yet :laughing:

Seriously though I think its a good way to become more independent but with adult supervision from Mum to make sure its done properly :thumbsup:

samb
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Aw bless him! Again if say great but supervised. Definitely ask mum to check bottle in future.

kellyskidz!
09-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I think it's good that they're so independent!
I can't say a word about his water bottle leaking because I made up my 5 yo's bottle to take to school on Thursday and when we got there it had leaked all over her pe kit :blush: bad mummy!

SJ35
09-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Wow I wish my 13 year old would make her own lunch!
I'd just mention to mom about the water bottle so she can double check it each day.
The three year old I'd just let him do it himself. He'll get better with practice x

loocyloo
09-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I encourage my own children ( 8 & 11 ) to make their pack ups ... but left to their own devices they include lots of chocolate/biscuits/crisps! this is something I must work harder at! as its just quicker & easier to do it myself! although they both like different breads/fillings, and DH who makes their sandwiches when he makes his, moans about 'being fussy' ( BUT he doesn't have the same as them!!! :rolleyes: )

I would supervise a 4 yr old making a pack up. we've got water bottles that suddenly leak after months of being fine!

and once a child is using the toilet, I generally don't get involved, unless child asks for help, and even then I encourage child to sort themselves out and I supervise. I can't bear it when i'm helping in school and 5 yr olds shout out for someone to wipe their bottom!

Mouse
09-09-2013, 10:47 AM
My 15yr old will often come home with his water bottle having leaked in his bag :rolleyes: I would suggest to mum that she checks it each morning, but sometimes these things just happen, whatever their age. If mum is happy letting her 4 yr old is making his own lunch, you'll just have to leave them to get on with it.

As for the 3 year old, if he usually sorts himself out, I'd leave him to it. If mum is happy for you to do that she can't really complain if he goes home not quite as fresh as he could be. Like others have said, much better a 3 year old learning to do it himself than an 8 year old who still wants you to do it for him (yes, I had a mindee like that!). What about providing him with the wet toilet wipes?

kellib
09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
My 8 year old often comes out of school leaving a trail of water behind him as he hasn't closed his bottle properly, doesn't matter how many times I tell him to check it before leaving!

And there's no way he'd make his own lunch, he's too lazy lol

ziggy
09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
thanks for replies

can see now why my 23yr old cant cook etc lol

Will check his water bottle in future when he arrives here so that hopefully wont happen again

I notice his teacher has put note in his homework diary saying he needs a bag for school. So i guess she means a seperate bag for books, homework etc. This would make sense and prevent reading book/homework getting wet in future.

bindy
09-09-2013, 04:18 PM
I would allow but supervised at 4!

shortstuff
09-09-2013, 04:28 PM
as others have said the lunch does need supervision even if its when LO isnt looking so not to upset the big boy he is becoming.

With the wiping again as someone else has said i always have a packet of baby wipes in my toilet for when they have done their 2's :D

smurfette
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Lunch yes but supervised or checked after . My three do their own but come and tell me or show me what's in and I check its right and enough , they know they aren't allowed junk

Wiping bottom . Depends! Mindee nearly 4 has just left for nursery and I got in habit of always checking her wiping cos mum asked me to as she wasn't doing it properly. I thought she should have known for nursery though!

nikki thomson
10-09-2013, 09:16 AM
There's nothing wrong with it if there happy, I however make there packed lunches as soon as we get home from school, empty, clean them and re-fill and back in the fridge ready for the next day. X

Tealady
10-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I can't bear it when i'm helping in school and 5 yr olds shout out for someone to wipe their bottom!

I was helping in school last term and a 7½ year old asked me to wipe her bottom :eek: I would understand slightly if she had done a bit of a loose one and got in a bit of a mess, but there were no problem so to speak. She is quite a young 7½ but even so.

I encourage all children to be independent and have a go as soon as they are potty trained. I teach them at first then they start doing it themselves with me finishing off, then when they seem to be doing OK, I leave them too it.

I mind 4yr old twins who start school on Thursday. I did wrap around with their Pre-school Holiday club and we were both working toward getting them wiping their own bottoms and they were doing OK, however 10days at home with parents and we are back to square one :angry:

Tinkerbell1979
10-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Makings lunch no, helping yes.

3 year old wiping own bottom after a poo - yes! My 3 year old does be sues she starts Nursery (3 hours a day) and they won't help.

Dragonfly
10-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Just like to add, not altogether to do with the question but, wet wipes and toilet wipes block the sewers up!