PDA

View Full Version : Fostering?

littleDs31
09-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Just wondering if it is possible to childmind and foster? Is there anyone doing that at the mo.

hectors house
09-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I may be wrong but whilst it would make perfect sense to foster whilst at home childminding, I don't think you are allowed to work as a foster parent, or maybe it depends on the age of the child. You would also need to factor the foster child (if under 5) into your ratios which would mean losing a full time space although you may not have a foster child on a regular or full time basis. Why don't you phone social services or whoever deals with fostering these days.

QualityCare
09-09-2013, 08:07 AM
Not sure if rules have changed but l knew two people several years ago who did both they were foster carers (had been for along time) and then did childminding as well.

loocyloo
09-09-2013, 08:13 AM
as far as I know, some LAs let you foster and childminder, others don't.

I have a friend who is a foster parent and she often has to take child/ren to meetings with parents/other professionals/hospitals etc and these are generally in the day time and she has to juggle her own children and sometimes foster children siblings in order to attend. sometimes the social workers come to visit her and the children at home. some of the meetings, it would not be suitable for minded children to be present.

good luck.

x

maisiemog
09-09-2013, 11:34 AM
We looked into this a few months ago before deciding to adopt instead and we spoke to about 10 agencies. Not one of them let you CM or work at all and foster. You spend a lot of time on courses, doing paperwork and meeting social workers etc so couldn't commit to both.

karen m
09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I have looked into this also told cannot do both for reasons others have stated, meetings with social worker, sometime taking child to a centre and having to wait while child is on supervision contact with parent as annoying as it is I can understand it

bindy
09-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I really don't know where some get information from, but I know plenty of child minders who foster . Not all living in the same LA. London and the North. If you foster, you are still aloud to work . My sister has fostered for 12 years now, she knows teachers, child minders, shop assistants etc all work and foster. My sister would never do contact with the child and parent, the child's social worker would always pick up the child and take on contact. Some parents are not allowed to know the foster parents, safety reasons. Like wise, if my sister could not make an hospital appointment wi the child's social worker would take her. Yes of course there are meetings but it's worked around your plans etc. Lots of foster parents have small children that have needs too. The best thing you can do is call your local council and get some information. If you go for an under 5, it would interfere with your numbers, just like your own under 5 would. You could always foster an older child at school. Good Luck!

bindy
09-09-2013, 09:03 PM
We looked into this a few months ago before deciding to adopt instead and we spoke to about 10 agencies. Not one of them let you CM or work at all and foster. You spend a lot of time on courses, doing paperwork and meeting social workers etc so couldn't commit to both.

It now takes around 12 months to do the course. Which is done in the evenings( so dh can attend) Only paper work my sister does is like a LJ for the child and meetings 1 every 3 months, not too bad! ( once the child has settled and all is well) My sister found agencies easier to please, she decided to stick with the council even though it was much tougher. Nice you adopted!

Jiorjiina
09-09-2013, 10:21 PM
I really don't know where some get information from, but I know plenty of child minders who foster . Not all living in the same LA. London and the North. If you foster, you are still aloud to work . My sister has fostered for 12 years now, she knows teachers, child minders, shop assistants etc all work and foster. My sister would never do contact with the child and parent, the child's social worker would always pick up the child and take on contact. Some parents are not allowed to know the foster parents, safety reasons. Like wise, if my sister could not make an hospital appointment wi the child's social worker would take her. Yes of course there are meetings but it's worked around your plans etc. Lots of foster parents have small children that have needs too. The best thing you can do is call your local council and get some information. If you go for an under 5, it would interfere with your numbers, just like your own under 5 would. You could always foster an older child at school. Good Luck!

Well I got my information from Devon County Council and about 5 different fostering agencies, all of whom said it was a no go. You might be able to do other work and foster, but childminding and fostering is a definite no here.

maisiemog
10-09-2013, 06:46 AM

My in laws foster, as do plenty of my friends and they were all made to give up work. Fostering is more than just looking after the child. My in laws have to meet with social workers, go on training etc. They rarely have a day without some sort of fostering appointment and the boys they look after are school aged with no complex needs. It gets more in depth if they are more complex.

They also don't like it as most foster children come from uncertain backgrounds and can't promise they won't harm the minded children. It's a safeguarding issue as well. If these people have found an agency that will allow both then they have been very lucky because I haven't been allowed. We spoke to LA and every private agency in our area (south west) and all said one of us had to quit work.

We are now planning to adopt and they won't even allow us past the information session unless one of us will commit to at least 6 month off wok with the child we adopt. And you aren't paid to adopt. With fostering you are paid an allowance to cover the costs of being at home rather than work.

littleDs31
10-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone it would appear its a postcode lottery like most things in this country! I have emailed my development officer and will email fostering/adoption dept today. My idea was to cm just one child to keep some money coming in. I'm not sure I could afford to give up a wage although its hard to work that out as no fostering websites give u financial information. I understand they don't want people fostering just for financial reasons but it does need to be considered by someone potentially giving up their job to help children in need. It is something I have wanted to do for many years after working with children in need/waiting adoption. I'll let you know the outcome in this area. Thanks for all your informative comments :)

bindy
10-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks everyone it would appear its a postcode lottery like most things in this country! I have emailed my development officer and will email fostering/adoption dept today. My idea was to cm just one child to keep some money coming in. I'm not sure I could afford to give up a wage although its hard to work that out as no fostering websites give u financial information. I understand they don't want people fostering just for financial reasons but it does need to be considered by someone potentially giving up their job to help children in need. It is something I have wanted to do for many years after working with children in need/waiting adoption. I'll let you know the outcome in this area. Thanks for all your informative comments :)

In my sisters area its around £180 per child, Depending on their age. Younger children get less, over 15's get a little more. My sister did level 3 so gets around £300. Out of that comes the clothes allowance around £12 per week, pocket money around £10 per week, it set by SS. Level 3 takes around 2 years to do ( while fostering) and its not the same as level 3 childcare we do, but is all done around foster children, there needs, etc. Its very hard work, not what she expected. Some children are very disturbed even small children but she has found it very rewarding, done it for years but now she is packing it in for a rest! She was always with the council but I know if you go privately you get 2 or 3 times more but you get very very disturbed children, normally the ones that the council find hard to foster out. Good Luck!! Most areas are crying out for more foster parents!

bindy
10-09-2013, 02:10 PM
My in laws foster, as do plenty of my friends and they were all made to give up work. Fostering is more than just looking after the child. My in laws have to meet with social workers, go on training etc. They rarely have a day without some sort of fostering appointment and the boys they look after are school aged with no complex needs. It gets more in depth if they are more complex.

They also don't like it as most foster children come from uncertain backgrounds and can't promise they won't harm the minded children. It's a safeguarding issue as well. If these people have found an agency that will allow both then they have been very lucky because I haven't been allowed. We spoke to LA and every private agency in our area (south west) and all said one of us had to quit work.

We are now planning to adopt and they won't even allow us past the information session unless one of us will commit to at least 6 month off wok with the child we adopt. And you aren't paid to adopt. With fostering you are paid an allowance to cover the costs of being at home rather than work.

Its not like that where my sister lives. I know what' s involved thank you!, I do have a lot to do with my sisters foster children, in fact one who was with my sister for 11 years is now my assistant. No one I have ever known, who fosters was told to give up work . What about your partner, do they have to give up work too? Because they have to do all the training etc not just the women. Of course if you foster small children not school age, would you be working?? They would want to know who will care for that child? A child minder for example. My mother was put down to help with my sisters foster children, i.e babysitting, so she had all the checks etc. The country is crying out for foster parents, single people, older people, gay people, families, all would be considered . Does your area not allow mums busy with their own children too?. Children go into care for all reasons, some times mum is not able to look after them for health reasons, you would be very surprised, lots are normal children, some may have lost their parents not all have been abused. My sister had a little boy for a few weeks while mum was in hospital recovering from and illness. They match children to your own family situation. Sorry they told you, you were not allowed to foster, seems very strange to me. I understand the 6 months off work with a child you adopt that is the norm with adoption. The money from fostering is not instead of working, may be you say in your area, but not in all! If anyone are interested in fostering the best advice I would give is call their local LA and find out themselves!

Boris
10-09-2013, 02:27 PM
I know of a minder who fostered her nephew whilst minding but that may have been different due to it being family. My close CM friend inquired about it and was told she couldn't do both. Same LA too.