PDA

View Full Version : 16yr old children and mindees alone clarification please

Kiddleywinks
08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Just need some clarification/confirmation that Ofsted advised me correctly.

Back in April, my DD turned 16. I hadn't received the CRB/DBS form for her so called to request it.
At the same time I asked if I could register her as my assistant.

The reason for this was because there were times when she would supervise the mindees whilst I cooked tea, or would be helping out with the crafts whilst I nipped to the loo.
I stress that I can hear what's going on during these times, and at no time was she ever alone inside, or outside, the house without me (no nipping to the shops or anything like that)
As she was leaving school in May, and the school holidays were looming, I thought it would be an idea to register her as my assistant, put her through a paedatric first aid course at my expense, and it could be an extra pair of hands on trips out if I needed to take any LO's to the loo, rather than take everyone and spoil their fun (DD could stay with the others as she would have her 1st aid)

Anyway, I was told that the rules had changed, and assistants had to be 18 or older.
I asked since when, and was told January.
I was also told that from the day my DD turned 16, she was not allowed to be left alone in the room with the children - even if I could hear them.

So, at 15, this was ok, but at 16 it was not.

Now, I understood their logic at the time, it did make some sense, frustrating though it was, but, well, Ofsted aren't known for their accuracy on the phone, and I just wondered if anyone can confirm that what I was told is indeed correct.
Also, if it is, or isnt, where do I find the relevant information?

Thanks in advance

blue bear
08-09-2013, 04:37 PM
My understanding is over 16 need DBS or crb then you can leave children in same room etc but not leave them on their own as in popping off to do the school run.

sarah707
08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Yes Ofsted are right in that your 16 year old is considered an unsuitable person until DBS check is back and you receive a 'suitable person' letter. So they cannot be on their own in a room with children after their 16th birthday whereas they could right up until their birthday - ridiculous :( but accurate.

However, what is wrong in all that above is the age of assistants... it's 17 for the younger children in the Eyfs and 18 for the children in the Childcare Register.

if you pull up the eyfs and search for '17' using control and 'f' you will find it quickly xx

Kiddleywinks
08-09-2013, 09:13 PM
if you pull up the eyfs and search for '17' using control and 'f' you will find it quickly xx

:huh::eeeek: eh?!

If I knew what you were talking about, I'd have a go! :laughing::laughing:

Thanks Sarah x
So, she's had her crb come back clear (I have that in my folder) so she can now be in a room with them without me there, but I must be able to hear? To date I haven't received a letter of suitability from Ofsted, is that still applicable for CRB checks as she was done before DBS came into force.
When she gets to 17, I CAN register her as an assistant, but she wouldn't be allowed the 'upto 2 hours' rule until she reaches 18? Have I got that right?

samb
08-09-2013, 10:41 PM
So glad I stumbled upon this as the girl who babysits for my own children is 16 and at college and looking for part time work. I have started looking into takin her on as my assistant! Hadn't come across the age thing- glad I have seen this before I'd taken it any further!

janminder
09-09-2013, 01:29 AM
What about when a mindee turns 16. I have a 15yr old mindee.

yummyripples
09-09-2013, 06:37 AM
That's madness! My 16 year old babysits my mindees at their own homes

Kiddleywinks
09-09-2013, 06:44 AM
That's madness! My 16 year old babysits my mindees at their own homes

In their own homes is different yummy. It's down to parents to decide who is an appropriate person to be around their children

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2013, 07:27 AM
My DD had her crb at 16 and she turned 17 in May this year. Just received the letter of suitability last week.